Clutch cable broke, Compatibility question

Dual Nature
This post is 3994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1985 Yamaha Virago 700
I went to leave my friends house today, and while downshifting the cable broke off at the clutch lever.
It appears to be held on not by a screw, but by a metal retaining piece cast onto the end of the cable.
Would i be able to pull through enough slack, and somehow make it work.

I have been unemployed for the past 3 months so i dont have any $$ to buy a new one..
If that dont work, i have one other option

I joined this forrum to ask a question for my friend on his first bike.. 81 Maxim 550
Well, he was in his first wreck a week ago. Rear ended someone who was sitting still, he was going 45. Needless to say the bikes screwed.
He offered his cable if its compatable,
so thats my question to you all
Will the cable off of an 81 Yamaha Maxim 550 be compatible with that of an 85 Yamaha Virago 700

These are our bikes, his is the red one
Mine is the orange one, incase you dont know the difference between them

1272201_408111642644389_2122144373_o_zps
(Picture taken by my friend, she's the one on the bike.. not me. Taken yesterday of all things.. )

64456_681298218565512_1230207930_n_zps95

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Just sold my Maxim a few weeks ago, nice bike, sorry to hear that one is now heading for boot hill! The cable on that bike is the same as the one on the SECA, pretty mix and match of Yamaha really, so it might fit your bike but you had best take yours off and compare the 2 before you try to fit it, if all else fails why not try a kit that is available from most bike shops for a few $ that has various nipple ends in, you can choose which end to use and still have spares for the other cables on your bike, I would suggest that you oil your cables before you put them back on as it broke for a reason usually lack of lubricant. Just fashion a tube/funnel of (we call it BLUETACK) and fill the funnel with oil while it is hanging from a rafter or branch and let gravity do the work for you. Hope you find a fix. Ride safe.

The kit your looking for is BIKE-IT EMERGENCY CABLE REPAIR or something similar.

Found this on EBAY US

emergency atv dirt bike mx motorcycle clutch throttle cable repair kit with case

He offered his cable if its compatable,

so thats my question to you all

Will the cable off of an 81 Yamaha Maxim 550 be compatible with that of an 85 Yamaha Virago 700

Part no for your Virago is 57A-26335-00

Part No for 81 Maxim 650 is 4H7-26335-00, now superceded by 15R-26335-00

If my understanding of Yam part nos is correct, then it looks like its the same cable

First 3 digits refer to the model no

Next 5 refer to the actual part no

Last 2 relate to any revisions

Got to be worth a try, particularly as the maxim is a scrapper

Part no for your Virago is 57A-26335-00

Part No for 81 Maxim 650 is 4H7-26335-00, now superceded by 15R-26335-00

If my understanding of Yam part nos is correct, then it looks like its the same cable

First 3 digits refer to the model no

Next 5 refer to the actual part no

Last 2 relate to any revisions

Got to be worth a try, particularly as the maxim is a scrapper

that theory does not work , the model no etc makes a diference, I:E RD 250 and 400 exhausts are diffferent, numbers are 1A0 -47210 - 00 then RD400 are 1A3-47210-00

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online