'94 sr125 speedo problem

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3825 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My speedo stopped working recently so I bought a speedo drive unit, assuming this would be the offending part. When I came to replace it last night, it's actually the lugs inside the wheel hub that have sheared off. I can't see if it is a seperate ring or part of the hub and can't find anything online either. Does anyone know it is a washer/ring behind a rubber seal and if so, do you know what it is called? If rather not have to buy a new wheel and spend more time fixing it than necessary!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

These any good?

Fleabay item. 141051932790

Or

Or

No - that's the bit I just bought and don't actually need! I should have removed and inspected mine first. It's the lugs marked 'a' that have broken off.

I know it's only a speedo but without a fuel gauge I know by how many miles I've done when to fill up before I go into reserve.

I'm 99% certain that its a type of washer with 2 tags into the hub and 2 tags facing out into the speedo drive, and that its likely to be called a speedo clutch or speedo drive clutch

Try getting a couple of smallish screwdrivers behind the washer/clutch and prising it out, its already shagged so you cant hurt it now

Cheers for that. I had hoped it might be a washer! It was getting dark when I had the wheel off and I had to put it back on for the morning. Hopefully it'll stay dry enough to have a go tomorrow afternoon.

I'm 99% certain that its a type of washer with 2 tags into the hub and 2 tags facing out into the speedo drive, and that its likely to be called a speedo clutch or speedo drive clutch

Try getting a couple of smallish screwdrivers behind the washer/clutch and prising it out, its already shagged so you cant hurt it now

I'm assuming that if I get it out, it can't go back together without refitting it? I've overlooked my cars MOT (booked for Monday) and have no other mode of transport so I'd have to wait for the new part first if it can't go back together. Cheers

Aye andre" usually access from other side of hub, Circlip- thrust washer-speedometer drive plate- [ your is broken] -speedometer drive gear, . in that order, :thumb:

Elvis, when you do get round to replacing it make sure the speedo inner cable is turning freely or you could snap them off again, might be worthwhile getting a new one

edit if its not turning freely disconnect it from speedo recheck cable off the bike if it's ok then you have a problem in the speedo itself

Elvis, when you do get round to replacing it make sure the speedo inner cable is turning freely or you could snap them off again, might be worthwhile getting a new one

edit if its not turning freely disconnect it from speedo recheck cable off the bike if it's ok then you have a problem in the speedo itself

Cheers Tommy

I can turn it with my fingers easily so think should be ok. I will fit the new gear at the same time as there is some brass filings inside the unit itself.

Aye andre" usually access from other side of hub, Circlip- thrust washer-speedometer drive plate- [ your is broken] -speedometer drive gear, . in that order, :thumb:

Cheers. Does that mean renewing the bushes?

You mean wheel bearings " just check they aint rough when you spin the wheel, any grinding noise , then yeh,,,

ive got two wheels in the back garden here bud, one is the disk brake type and one isnt, so if you want any parts off them g'is a shout :)

Cheers mate. Might just do that. I've got someone coming back to me on a price for making one as the bit I need isn't made any more!

How much would you want for the whole wheel (disc)? I assume the other wheel is a front not a rear?

You mean wheel bearings " just check they aint rough when you spin the wheel, any grinding noise , then yeh,,,

Yeah bearings - I was searching the Internet...... Not sure what made me think of bushes!!

..... Not sure what made me think of bushes!!

Like fomeh" you mind is never above the navel .... :fingerwave: ----------------- :grin:

• Like 1

Ha ha! I wasn't sure if I would need to lightly oil the rubber seals, so I innocently googled lubricate and rubber. How was I to know that's what would come up?????

• 6 months later...

Finally I can update this thread! Busy with a file and a large steel penny washer last night and made myself a speedo drive washer thing after 6 months of searching the web. Just fitted it and the speedo works a treat. 2 lugs sticking out hold it in place in the hub, 2 more lugs sticking up turn the speedo drive unit. 3 hours work, scowls from the missus but cost me nothing! :)

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online