Battery opinions required - talk me out of it - or not!

DirtyDT
This post is 4041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I brought one of these LINKY 6v 2.8ah/20 hours.

The bike should be charging at a max of 2.3amps at 8k revs. 8k revs is in the red on the rev counter.

Assuming the bike runs mainly (almost always) below this, would it be safe to fit this?

The battery says that the initial charge amps should be 0.7amps

The bike should be charging at 0.2 a at 2k revs to a max of 2,3a at 8k revs

The battery is a VRLA type.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It might be OK but its not designed for such harsh charging as its a standby battery, not a vehicle battery. It should have a fixed current, variable voltage charger attached to it.

People do use them but its definately outside the battery's spec and you'll invalidate the warranty using it in a motor vehicle appliaction.

Thanks for the reply. I am not fussed about any warranty - the battery was cheap - just the risk of it leaking or blowing up and spilling acid.

I use an alarm battery on the tracker and so far its held up. not too fussed though as it was only £7

Well it loks just like the one that got stole from the ride on e quad to fix the dt50 and it's been in there abiut 2 years without problems,well no problems for the first year and then the bike got sold to a friend who if anything were to go wrong would have called ,because when anything breaks he calls me.

It's agm battery and they are getting popular,agm's tend to last longer that wet lead acid and can be run flat more times.The one in the dt50 is about 9-10 years old, mind the only thing it's doing is running lights now .

What are you going to put it in?

Paul -I have a regulator that is a patten part for a DT. You did suggest connecting it to the red/white wire feeding the rectifier. I connected it to the wiring as shown in the US specs (grey wire) but I am not sure if, due to the different ignition and light switches, that it is doing anything. It will be connected to the feed into the rectifier as of later. It seems that when I switch the lights on, the power to the battery spikes. I don't know if this is a bad switch gear although it was a very expensive NOS part. There are now patten parts available so I will get one of those. Mine has the 2 block connections and previously they only sold patten ones with single blocks.

Dt - fitting it to the TS.

Drewps - I thought you had similar on the tracker.

I may become the first 70mph eunuch if the thing explodes as I am thinking of fitting it under the seat.!!

I have fitted the DT regulator to the rectifier in feed. Getting 6.1v to 6.3v at tickover with no spike when I turn any of the lights on or off. I haven't tested the volts at higher revs yet. I couldn't fit the battery in the battery compartment so I had to fit it under the seat. It's not pretty at the moment but I fitted a new regulator and a micro blade fuse holder and fuse too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online