Da Vinci wannabe

Mallory1
This post is 4044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, its after 2am and I'm trying to type on the world's smallest Friggin keypad (aka my android mobile) so I will be brief. My wee 99 fazer seat cowl is looking tired - some numpty failed to add enough protection under the soft luggage while enjoying the whiskey and wild women of Scotland ... Ok, just the whiskey. Anyhoo ... Can't find an unmarked one on fleabay etc and can't be bothered looking further. So, could I paint it I wonder? Mmm. Last painted the hall and living room but nothing as far as plastic seat cowls on a bike. Can anyone advise? Assume I'm an ejit and know next to nothing. Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

.................... could I paint it I wonder.....................

Yep.

If you have unpainted plastic you need a plastic primer sprayed on it first. If you have pre painted plastic you need to key the surface with fine wet & dry and paint it. You can get colour matched spray paint from many places including these LINKY

Cheers DT. That link is excellent. As is the advice. Deep breath & here goes :)

LMAO love the statement

"Last painted the hall and living room but nothing as far as plastic seat cowls on a bike. Can anyone advise? Assume I'm an ejit and know next to nothing. Cheers"

spray painting is not hard but you have to get a feel for it,not to dry and not to wet,put on a light coat and let it tack up then add another layer of covering type coat,then the finnal coat after the last has tacked up, this one is the one that will be smooth too much paint and you get runs not enough and you get a orange peel effect.Best part is if you make a mess of it just sand it off after it dries and start over Good luck.Or find the local kid who taggs the walls in the neighbouhood and get him to teach you

• Like 1

good advice. If you mess it up with runs etc don't even be tempted to rectify it when wet. Wait for it to dry and they rub it down.

• Like 1

Well DT ya can if you have proper thinners just a messy job,soak a rag in thinners and whipe it all off.I don't mess around with rattel can's I have a pro paint gun (devilibis gravity feed) so I have to mix the paint/hardner and thinner anyway and have the thinners on hand,I have painted the same part 2x in a hour.I'm not great with the gun yet but getting better everytime I use it my buddy Jimmy is a painter by trade and teaching me the tricks about mixing the paint,mix it to thin and runs evey time to thick and orange peel.

But if you get a run sometime's you can spray it out to a edge and use a piece of tape to get it off,this is tricky to not make more runs not something a first time painter would get right.

I won't paint anything important unless he's here to save me from myself yet,though I have painted some things for people like garden furniture with great success.I painted a friends truck and it turned out good considering we did it outside and a few buggs landed on the paint before it dried but he was happy.

Anyway time for a ride good luck with you painting Mallory

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online