Chain Breaker/Linker thingy

GREIGE
This post is 4046 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right. Now i have my new chain had a bit of a look at it.

Comes with one of those link pin/link things.

Now its been a l o n g time since I replaced a chain.

Thinking I may need to break the chain to get it off the XJ600. Then fix this new chain with link properly.

Now I wondering what is the best tools for the job.

New link is easy. Just put the wee washers on properly & use long nose pliers to clip link in securely ( in proper direction etc)

But the old chain. haven't looked to see if its continuous or not but IF it is what would you recommend as the best proper tool for breaking/joining for long term ? ( Future bikes may have continuous chain. )

? ? ? ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it is a continuous one then either angle grind it off - my preferred option

or

Grind down one of the pins and then get a heavy duty chain splitter on it.

As you already said, tadpole in the right direction on the new link.

With any bike above 125cc, I'd personally not trust anything than a properly riveted chain, which you do with the splitting/rivetting tool. Heard too many stories of the open-link ones coming apart and ripping legs, wrecking gearboxes, causing crashes while banked over, etc...

Hmmm.

This chain is an Uprated Heavy Duty one from DID suitable for XJ600 & comes with OPEN LINK. ? ?

Cant afford to look for another chain but considering my riding style is , shall we say, relaxed im not to bothered.

SPLIT LINK ! ! that's the words I've been looking for !! !!

Thanks DirtyDT.

Now back to the Guinness....

I've never had a spring link come off on any chain I've fitted in over 40 years of work, fast/slow/large/small.

Just make sure that the closed end of the clip faces the direction of travel, and is securely loctaed in the grooves on the pins, and keep it lubed.

SPLIT LINK ! ! that's the words I've been looking for !! !!

Thanks DirtyDT.

Now back to the Guinness....

They can be a little difficult to find but I got a gold one off fleabay. HD 525 X ring (to match the chain).

I do prefer them and in many years of riding I have only had one clip disappear. It was in the South of France and because it was a Sunday I decided to ride without it as I needed to get back towards Blighty. Did a lot of miles that day and didn't have any issues - I wouldn't recommend it but it was either that or miss the ferry.

Hi Sacha, what it means is that if you can imagine a drive chain going anti-clockwise the closed end of the link should always be facing forward in the direction of travel.

I can only presume that if the open end of the link was facing in direction of travel would the "G force" or whatever try to prise open the link?

Hi Sacha, what it means is that if you can imagine a drive chain going anti-clockwise the closed end of the link should always be facing forward in the direction of travel.

I can only presume that if the open end of the link was facing in direction of travel would the "G force" or whatever try to prise open the link?

Thanks man! I realized it after I posted... then felt stupid and deleted my post. :eusa_shifty: