XVS 125 Fuel Leak

Motorhate
This post is 4046 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've currently got a fuel leak which looks to be coming from the fuel overflow. I ran out of petrol today and flipped to the reserve to get me to a petrol station. I filled the tank right up (almost to the top) and rode home (about 3miles). On parking, I noticed a puddle of petrol (also noticed this in the petrol station) and was wondering whether the overflow kicks in if you fill the tank right up to the top, or if there's a problem with the carb? I've taped up the pipe (I'm assuming its the overflow as I can't see anywhere it would connect to) so that's stopped the leak for now.
Bike starts and runs fine without any obvious problems by the way.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've currently got a fuel leak which looks to be coming from the fuel overflow. I ran out of petrol today and flipped to the reserve to get me to a petrol station. I filled the tank right up (almost to the top) and rode home (about 3miles). On parking, I noticed a puddle of petrol (also noticed this in the petrol station) and was wondering whether the overflow kicks in if you fill the tank right up to the top, or if there's a problem with the carb? I've taped up the pipe (I'm assuming its the overflow as I can't see anywhere it would connect to) so that's stopped the leak for now.

Bike starts and runs fine without any obvious problems by the way.

My two pennies worth.

If the leaking pipe is from the overflow to the tank then you have put too much fuel in the tank, If the leak is from the carb overflow pipe it would sound like you have a prob with the carb not shutting off the fuel when carb bowl is full. it could be the floats or fuel float needle, the floats rise and fall when fuel enters the carb bowl, if they have a hole or crack they will fill with fuel and not operate the fuel needle, the neddle lets fuel in and also stops the fuel entering the carb, bowl, when fuel is used from the bowl the floats lower and let the needle drop and let more fuel in till it reaches the correct level, then the floats rise and they push up the needle which shuts off the fuel again etc etc

You need to make sure where the pipe that is leaking fuel connects to, then take it from there.

Is it the overflow to the carb or the tank?

I think it might be the tank, although I didn't know the tank had an overflow. If it has, then it could be the tank as I filled it more or less to the top.

Not sure if the Baby drag is the same as the 650, but you are only supposed to fill to the bottom of the filler neck, so if you topped it off so you could see the fuel right to the top of the filler then yes you have put too much in.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online