Sr 125 1992 start and idle probs

Nessyross
This post is 4048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive recently bought a sr 125 on a 1992 reg bike which needed some tlc.

After shot blasting bike and respraying i started going about getting it mechanically sound as i wish to give to my daughter to learn on and want it right.

Would like to know how to check timing how to set carb and valve clearances and do i need to purchase gaskets etc or split casings.

Have ordered manual but would like to make a start on it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You may get more, or better, replies if you posted a hello in the new members section. There is a stickied post that will say that we are generally a friendly bunch but some people like to have a little bit of an intro - especially when there is a list of questions.

Magic words generally help too.

I haven't got access to the specs at the moment as I am at work but I will post up some details later unless someone beats me to it. Unless there is something majorly wrong you shouldn't need to split the cases. You will have to access the tappers via the covers on the top of the engine and I am not sure about the timing until I look.

I will post the tappet gaps

Carb settings

Timing info

I will do this later today unless someone has already replied.

You shouldn't have to mess with the timing unless the engine has been stripped.

On the top of the engine there will be 2 inspection covers. These need to be undone to expose the tappets.

On the left hand side (nearside) of the engine there will be 2 slotted caps on the crankcase. You need to unscrew the top one to see the timing marks for tappet adjustment, the lower one to turn the crank and look through the top hole until you see the marks. Remember to turn anticlockwise.

Rotate the crankshaft anticlockwise to align the slit on the rotor with the stationary pointer on the crankcase cover. When the piston is Top Dead Center (TDC) Measure the valve clearance by using a feeler gauge.

Exhaust tappet is the one to the front of the bike near the exhaust.

Tappets (measured cold):

IN 0.05 _ 0.09 mm

EX 0.11 _ 0.15 mm

Spark plug:

NGK DR8EA 0.6 _ 0.7 mm

Carburetor:

Type Y24P

I.D. mark4WP-10

Main jet (M.J) #102

Main air jet (M.A.J) ø1.3

Jet needle (J.N) 4C9A-3/5

Needle jet (N.J) 2.600

Cut away (C.A) 2.25

Pilot outlet (P.O) 0.8

Pilot jet (P.J) #38

Bypass 1 (B.P.1) 1.0

Pilot screw (P.S) 2

Valve seat size (V.S) ø2.0

Starter jet 1 (G.S.1) #60

Starter jet 2 (G.S.2) #64

Float height (F.H) 28.5 mm

Engine idle speed1,250 to 1,350 r/min

Ignition timing:

Ignition timing (B.T.D.C.) 9 degrees at 1,300 r/min

Many thanks for technical specs will have a go at weekend and hopefully will sort it out

Will update progress on forum

Thanks again

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online