Thought I'd said goodbye to my Dog yesterday

Tommy xs
This post is 3148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Chunk started to loose control of his back legs yesterday we got him to the vets, turns out he's been over prescribed drugs

they where using his pre opp weight as a measurement but he'dd lost nearly 10kg since then anyway they said it would sort its self out in about 3 days to get it out of his system so we took him home and he was fine for a few hours then he started going really strange like his eyes were all over the place his body was totally ridged he was shaking all over we had to call the vet out we spent nearly 2 hours getting his temp down to normal after he started having seizures the vet sedated him and he's woke up this morning

had something to eat & been in garden to do his stuff, still very unsteady on his feet and whimpering a bit but a lot better than last night

I've taken the day off to keep an eye on him just hope he's over the worste of it now its looking like I'll have to miss Squire's I was really looking forward to it but can't leave my boy in this state, I'll see how he is nearer the weekend.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thank's guys, looking at a dog forum it looks like it can take up to 2 weeks believe it or not and not all dogs make it

just holding on to any hope at the moment he's come so far with what he's been through

he's still holding his own, he's one strong little feller I know some would say to let him go

but I have to give him a chance after coming so far.

• Like 1

i would too mate, my old staffie had a brain tumor and i held his head in my hands and watched him go,

it broke my bloody heart, im filling up thinking about it. im getting soft in my old age..

Shame on the vet :eusa_snooty: why didn't they account for the loss of weight,it his/her fault IMO that this last bout happend. I'd be telling them they can shove any bill for that vist where the sun don't shine.

F____in pill scripting /money grabing doctor's are going to kill everything,dogs and people :crazy: ,I swear they all get kick backs from the med company's

Hope he pulls through

yeh Drew the tumor was 6.4k in weight then we've had problems feeding him between all the med's as some have to be taken before food

then there are time limits between different med's and he was throwing up anything other than small amounts of food, but we have managed to increase this yesterday and so far today

he is showing signs of improvement Bipp and I'm sure this will improve now he's managing to eat more.

DT 50 I'm still to confront the vet, just concentrating on getting him well as the moment but be sure to have a few choice words when the bill comes in

(edit tumor was 6.7 lb in weight)

i would too mate, my old staffie had a brain tumor and i held his head in my hands and watched him go,

it broke my bloody heart, im filling up thinking about it. im getting soft in my old age..

your not getting soft mate but it's only something a dog owner really understands

• Like 1

Tommy

I worked as a Dog Handler for 14yrs and never ceased to be amazed at the resilience of dogs in recovering from injury/illness so keep your/his spirits up mate.

I watched a tv programme last night about the Army Vet Corp (based in Melton Mowbray, and an old stomping ground of mine) and they had an explosive search dog who ate some explosives whilst on a training exercise. This dog was taking seizures and falling about. The vets had no antidote to the poison it ate, so just gave it food and water. A couple of days later this dog was running around like nowt had happened.

don't up his food intake to fast tom , your better off keeping a little bit down than over doing it and him throwing the lot back.

i can't get this through to the missus.

• Like 1

True Tommy you need thier help now but, stiff them in the end. The word lawyer comes to mind about this

Jimmy had many a dog who ate something un known to me and sick as s--t for a few days then good as new, they can pull through most anything. But explosives thats over the top,who leaves explosives lying around someone should have been slaped many atime for that one.

So true kev it's not how much but just gettin it in and keeping it down

don't up his food intake to fast tom , your better off keeping a little bit down than over doing it and him throwing the lot back.

i can't get this through to the missus.

yes Kev been through all that every time we tried to up his food a bit he'd throw up, but since they have stopped the med which he'd been over prescribed he seems to be able to keep moor down, little & often so we can fit it round his other med's

Tommy

When our dogs were sick we would give them chicken and rice, as said above, little and often, or if tinned food we would give then Chappie. Chappie is cheap but is full of fish so it stinks, but was deemed to be the best for an ill dog

dt

The dog was an Explosive Search dog in training, so the explosives were there for him to find and indicate on, not eat tho' so from experience I would say he failed that part of his training

Thank's Jimmy we tried to switch him to chappie week before last, then when we were in scotland he started throwing up so I had to go the Vets in Oban and buy some prescription diet food at £2.50 a can. were are switching on to Chappie again as his appetite for it is much better since he's now detoxing and will definitely get him on the chicken & rice as we've used that before he's had a stomach ulcer and peritonitis since his opp so have had to be really careful with his diet

he's a lot better tonight apparently he's suffered some nerve damage as a result of the drugs and they've said it will take a while for him to recover

don't go trying this , as too much change in his food won't do him any favours.

but a good vet ? (iv'e had a few money grabbing tossers) told me when we had an op done on the bully to feed her on White fish and mash potato for a couple of days, it worked a treat she didn't want her own food afterwards..

Yep, Boiled white fish and mash, or boiled white fish and rice, the fish is light on the stomach but gives the protein, while the mash or rice is heavy in starch which helps bind and keep the food down.