Non EU import information - bike registration (NOVA) (C&E386)

DirtyDT
This post is 3892 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I thought I would post this is case it would help clear up what to do if you want to register your imported bike. This should apply to non EU imports. That all said, I can't guarantee the following information but I am following this process at the moment and I will update on any progress or problems. This is what I was told, this morning by the HMRC people who deal with this.

So you want to buy a bike imported from outside the UK? - I can see you nodding. You want to register it in the UK and ride it with pride? - I can now see you salivating.

The process is easy (sometimes). All you need to do is take all of the paperwork and some cash to to local DVLA office, part with some cash, and you will get a V5, a tax disk and then be able to get a number plate made up and ride the bike.

What paperwork do I need?

A completed V55 form - you need to order one of these online and the exact one you want is dependent on if the bike is new or not. For a secondhand bike you need a V55/5

A MOT certificate - you take the bike to a MOT center and get them to MOT it on the frame number

An insurance certificate - you get insurance on the frame number. Be aware that when you get the bike registered your insurer may charge you for the new certificate

A dating letter - If you have no independent proof of the bikes age, you may need to get one of these or get the dreaded Q plate. Paul Dawkins on this site is the person you may want to contact about this stage only

A NOVA (Notification of Vehicle Arrivals) number - Now this is where it gets interesting. There are various experiences with using the old C&E386 form and it seems that one Government organisation hasn't spoken to the other and established the rules. At the moment, any bike over 30 years old and imported before April this year does not need a NOVA. That said, it will depend on where you try and register the bike and when you are going to do it. More about this later.

Presently the cost of doing this is £55 plus the cost of the road tax.

Still with me? OK, back to the NOVA/non-NOVA saga.

NOVA is used to register the bike for import/VAT purposes. Previously a C&E386 did this, and still should in some instances. The issue is that the DVLA and HMRC seem to disagree on the rules. The biggest issue is that you may be investing your money to get the bike restored, MOT'ed and insured and without being able to get the bike registered you may be wasting your money. As part of this process, HMRC inform the DVLA about the NOVA number and it should make the actual registration easier as it should appear on the DVLA database at somepoint before you register the bike.

How do I get a NOVA number?

Well. According to the official people you do one the following:

1) Send your C&E386 form, your receipt for the bike purchase and any associated paperwork - this should include anything relating to the ownership chain (if the bike has been brought and sold a few times) if you have it to the details below.

If you brought the bike direct from the importer and they are VAT registered, the receipt should show that you paid VAT on the sale. Remember to send your covering letter with your name, address contact number etc and what you are sending the forms for.

Send to:

The Car Team

HMRC

National Clearance Hub

Custom House

Furness Quay

Salford

M50 3ZZ

If all is OK, they should send you a NOVA reference number by post. You may want to include a postage paid envelope so they can send your stuff back.

2) Get all of the relevant forms scanned into your PC. Send these as attachments (PDF?) to the following email:

[email protected]

Remember to send your details (name address and why you are doing it) as they can send the numbers out by post or could email them. The good thing about this is that they can't lose the forms and really mess with your brain.

This process does include bikes however, If you have any questions you may want to phone them. Here are 3 direct line phone numbers to help.

0161 261 5172

0161 261 5174

0161 261 5176

If you haven't topped yourself or gone into a coma, well done. Please remember that I can't guarantee the information however, this is what I was told this morning.

If you don't have the C&E you will probably end up paying the import duty for the bike. I am not sure what bike value they will put the tax on as, by the time they go to value it, it may have been restored by you.

When you go to resister the bike they may ask for an inspection however that is not part of what I wanted to communicate in this post and I am losing the will to live at the moment.

Good luck!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

good info there, currently compiling the info for the Gilera and a member on the sports moped forum has just had his import registered.

YOU have to be DUcking kidding .

Here buy bike take recipet to Dvla,give vin# pay tax,mto,insure carrie on,even if it has a lost ownership,20 bucks and they generate a new one,provided it dosen't come up stolen or writen off.

importing not so easy unless allready here ,,,if so then back to 2nd sentince.

Importing total mucking head ache first time ,but any bike that has been brought into the country will have been recorded with the dvla or customs officals so a quic call to the dvla give vin and either the dvla has file or,, customs does as unregiestered imported vehicle awaiting regersitry,then it get fun tring to get the lazy bastereds at customs to get off ther duff and find it( file) to regenerate the import papers.

Just so you know, if you do insure with us on a chassis number, we won't charge you to issue the new certificate once its registered.

Lee

Good to know Lee.

Just a quick update.

I sent the scans of documents off last Monday by email. I received a letter this morning basically saying that all is fine and it had a NOVA reference number. Just over a week from start to finish. This should make it easier when I register it.

Just to clarify, at the moment the bike would have fallen out of the NOVA process but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get an official letter.

I thought I would post this is case it would help clear up what to do if you want to register your imported bike. This should apply to non EU imports. That all said, I can't guarantee the following information but I am following this process at the moment and I will update on any progress or problems. This is what I was told, this morning by the HMRC people who deal with this.

So you want to buy a bike imported from outside the UK? - I can see you nodding. You want to register it in the UK and ride it with pride? - I can now see you salivating.

The process is easy (sometimes). All you need to do is take all of the paperwork and some cash to to local DVLA office, part with some cash, and you will get a V5, a tax disk and then be able to get a number plate made up and ride the bike.

What paperwork do I need?

A completed V55 form - you need to order one of these online and the exact one you want is dependent on if the bike is new or not. For a secondhand bike you need a V55/5

A MOT certificate - you take the bike to a MOT center and get them to MOT it on the frame number

An insurance certificate - you get insurance on the frame number. Be aware that when you get the bike registered your insurer may charge you for the new certificate

A dating letter - If you have no independent proof of the bikes age, you may need to get one of these or get the dreaded Q plate. Paul Dawkins on this site is the person you may want to contact about this stage only

A NOVA (Notification of Vehicle Arrivals) number - Now this is where it gets interesting. There are various experiences with using the old C&E386 form and it seems that one Government organisation hasn't spoken to the other and established the rules. At the moment, any bike over 30 years old and imported before April this year does not need a NOVA. That said, it will depend on where you try and register the bike and when you are going to do it. More about this later.

Presently the cost of doing this is £55 plus the cost of the road tax.

Still with me? OK, back to the NOVA/non-NOVA saga.

NOVA is used to register the bike for import/VAT purposes. Previously a C&E386 did this, and still should in some instances. The issue is that the DVLA and HMRC seem to disagree on the rules. The biggest issue is that you may be investing your money to get the bike restored, MOT'ed and insured and without being able to get the bike registered you may be wasting your money. As part of this process, HMRC inform the DVLA about the NOVA number and it should make the actual registration easier as it should appear on the DVLA database at somepoint before you register the bike.

How do I get a NOVA number?

Well. According to the official people you do one the following:

1) Send your C&E386 form, your receipt for the bike purchase and any associated paperwork - this should include anything relating to the ownership chain (if the bike has been brought and sold a few times) if you have it to the details below.

If you brought the bike direct from the importer and they are VAT registered, the receipt should show that you paid VAT on the sale. Remember to send your covering letter with your name, address contact number etc and what you are sending the forms for.

Send to:

The Car Team

HMRC

National Clearance Hub

Custom House

Furness Quay

Salford

M50 3ZZ

If all is OK, they should send you a NOVA reference number by post. You may want to include a postage paid envelope so they can send your stuff back.

2) Get all of the relevant forms scanned into your PC. Send these as attachments (PDF?) to the following email:

[email protected]

Remember to send your details (name address and why you are doing it) as they can send the numbers out by post or could email them. The good thing about this is that they can't lose the forms and really mess with your brain.

This process does include bikes however, If you have any questions you may want to phone them. Here are 3 direct line phone numbers to help.

0161 261 5172

0161 261 5174

0161 261 5176

If you haven't topped yourself or gone into a coma, well done. Please remember that I can't guarantee the information however, this is what I was told this morning.

If you don't have the C&E you will probably end up paying the import duty for the bike. I am not sure what bike value they will put the tax on as, by the time they go to value it, it may have been restored by you.

When you go to resister the bike they may ask for an inspection however that is not part of what I wanted to communicate in this post and I am losing the will to live at the moment.

Good luck!

Hi

Would you know what would be diff, when importing a EU bike from France that was first reg, in France in the year 2000.

Thanks

Hi

Would you know what would be diff, when importing a EU bike from France that was first reg, in France in the year 2000.

Thanks

Do you have any of the French paperwork? There would be no VAT implications as it is an EU import. What is the year of the bike (not the first registration)?

Do you have any of the French paperwork? There would be no VAT implications as it is an EU import. What is the year of the bike (not the first registration)?

Hi

I have what looks like a French reg, doc, not sure as it is in french, but has info, like frame no, year of manufature etc, on it, which is the year 2000, this year ties up with the vin no, as this works out to the year 2000 (0000) also have a green card from Yamaha which has the reg of the bike and yearts 2000 - 2001 with the chaps name on it who bought it new in 2000.

Thanks for any help offered getting this reg, here on a UK plate

This may help LINKY

I would go to the local DVLA office and have a chat with someone who deals with this. Don't try and phone them, you will get a central person who is not interested, pop into the DVLA office. Take your original paperwork. You will still need the correct paperwork but the information they give will be very helpful.

This may help LINKY

I would go to the local DVLA office and have a chat with someone who deals with this. Don't try and phone them, you will get a central person who is not interested, pop into the DVLA office. Take your original paperwork. You will still need the correct paperwork but the information they give will be very helpful.

I think i will do that to be syre, might save a lot of time.

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online