This post is 4058 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. Found this site while looking for help with a slight oil leak with my 650 Dragstar Custom. Sort of found an answer, but before going on with that,thought I'd just put a few words of intro. I've had this bike for approx 5-6 years, moving on to it from my 125 after having my first bike + passing my test at age 50. (Yes, sorry an old woman joining the forum!). Anyway, have always done the annual service on the bike myself (with help from husband or son to loosen + tighten the oil sump bolt + bolts on the oil filter covers). Never had a drop of oil from the bike in that time. Last service done April this year. Horrified to find slight oil leak this week coming from under the oil filter plate + advice from other bikers that its prob the 'o' ring seal that's the cause. (Confirmed by this forum). So the girly question is, can I take the filter cover off to replace the 'o' ring without draining the oil off, or I going to end up with the entire oil content p*ssing out? If so, I can get out there now + sort it myself. If not, looks like I'll have to crawl to my husband or son for help - and I so hate having to do that!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi lizzy breaking forum rules here as first post that are repair questions and not just a intro is normaly fround upon.

First it a can style filter and shoud have come with a new o ring,so try first just giving it a we bit of a turn might not be tight enough, if that dosen't work possibly some dirt got on the o ring not alowing it to seal,then pull the filter off you will loose some oil but not the whole lot.

good luck and welcome to the forum hope you decide to hang around not just get a answer a bugger off

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would drain the oil and change the oil ring. Best to do the job once and properly.

Just to let you know that there are lots of people older than you on the forum.

Hi guys. So sorry for the wrong approach to the forum, but thanks for the responses. So to try + do the intro a bit better, I'm a mid-life crisis biker, started riding 7 yes ago, currently have a 1999 Yamaha Dragstar Custom 650, the pride of my life. All my family ride - my husband has a Suzuki GSX 1400, + my son has a Husqvarna Nuda 900, so we're all 2-wheel crazy. Just gave my pride+joy a clean + polish, did a short trip to the shops + sitting in traffic glanced down to see smoke rising - OMG! Prob Prob just the very small amount of oil its losing connecting with the hot exhaust, but enough to send me straight home + leave it alone til I've got the 'o' ring replaced. Look forward to exploring the rest of the site.

Hi Lizzy, just one thing though. When you replace an oil filter you always need to smear the new seal (o"ring) with oil before you screw the new filter on.

When screwing the new filter on only screw just above hand tight, i.e. screw it in as far as you can by hand then with a ratchet (or equivalent) tighten by about 1/8 turn.

:welcome:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online