Trade licence, trade plates e.t.c?

wild foamy
This post is 4065 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya peeps,

Been thinking now about getting some of the afore mentioned items as im starting to buy/sell the jap cars as a hobby.

As far as i understand, the VAT threshold is around £60,000 a year, and if i am trading FTOs worth £500-£750 every month or so im never going to come near that, but as far as i understand it to get trade plates i would need a trade licence... and to get a trade licence i would need to be registered as a trader.

I have the form to apply for a trade licence, but how do i register as a motor trader? also if i apply for a trade licence how do i go about getting trade plates from that?

this is confusing me already :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would think you could just go sole trader; HMRC will issue you with a self-employment ticket (whatever it is called these days), you will have to submit a self assessment (and will even when you 'finish' for some time). You should be able to get insurance as a sole trader with tradex - but they do expect you to have a paper trail (to prevent people just getting trade insurance and driving whatever). You'll be able to claim back expenses on a sliding scale (an accountant or tax advisor is useful and not that expensive). I'm not sure how things stand these days, but i ended up paying NI as an employee and 'class 1' contributions (i think) and paid a lot in NI.

On a similar note, whats best; a multi bike policy or a rider policy? and can anyone have one?

would you not have to set up a company? i looked at doing it and you can set up a LTD company for like 99p online, guessing this is where you got your information? https://www.gov.uk/trade-licence-plates

Before anyone buys a limited company please understand the legal implications of doing so. Buying one is the easy part however, understand the running and reporting of it first.

Just remember the insurance for a motor trader insurance policy is something like 1800quid a year.

Considering I may trade one car/backor ever month or maybe 2 months it's hardly worth it! :(

Fuck it, will buy a flatbed transit to roll around in.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online