Yamaha xj6 1997

matteh
This post is 3994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Did a valve job on my bike, new spark plugs, oil filter and oil.

Now my bike wont start....

It ticks over and then makes a funny noise and then nothing...

Anyone have any ideas ?????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nope, first you say the bike doesn't start but it ticks over? Only one of those statements must be true but not the other.

which is it?

assuming it started, ticked over then stopped! and that it was running fine before, first check oil level then spark plug gap

if there's no problem there then it must be the valves, when you say you did a valve job what exactly did you do was it new valves or just the clearances,

Or it turned over but didn't start (fire).

Did you do the tappers correctly with the engine at the right part of the stroke. Did you confuse a metric feeler gauge with an imperial one? I am assuming you used a feeler gauge!

Did you use the correct plugs with the same length, adjusted the gap and put the plug caps back on the plugs - on the right plugs that it so the firing order is maintained?

When you say "funny noise" are we talking;

A burp?

A comedian?

A grinding one?

An air, burble, one?

Or something else?

Or it turned over but didn't start (fire).

Did you do the tappers correctly with the engine at the right part of the stroke. Did you confuse a metric feeler gauge with an imperial one? I am assuming you used a feeler gauge!

Did you use the correct plugs with the same length, adjusted the gap and put the plug caps back on the plugs - on the right plugs that it so the firing order is maintained?

When you say "funny noise" are we talking;

A burp?

A comedian?

A grinding one?

An air, burble, one?

Or something else?

A burp :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online