1974 DT125A electrical/mechanical problems

Airsick
This post is 3935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I have a couple of problems and I'm going to do my best to describe them.

As the title indiciates I have a 1974 DT125A I'm pretty sure it's the DT125A from research that I've done, and some references I've seen linked on other posts.

First Issue: head light and tail light and brake light does not work while it is running. I've found the flasher relay and when made some slight adjustments on the outside - part of the assembly will spin somewhat - probably not a good sign. When it is rotated sometimes the lights will work while it's running. I suspect that the relay needs to be replaced but was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or offer any other suggestions on how to repair/fix it without replacing.

Second issue: Along with the first issue, sometimes when the lights are turned on and the turn signals are being used the engine will bog down somewhat, there have been some issues that the electrical drain will kill the engine. Not sure what this is - my only idea is the voltage regulator assembly which I've tried to clean up the best I can but I've been attempting to avoid 220$(USD) to replace it.

Lastly: I've gotten to the point that if the bike is cool, or hasn't been ridden for a couple of hours it will fire right up, but now I've noticided kind of a cranking/rattling sound when it gets reved up-not sure if it doesn't have enough oil or something else- the other thing about this is that after it runs for a while and gets hot it seems to not fire the way it's supposed to or perhaps it's not getting the fuel it needs because it seems to have less power when you start reving past 4-5000 rpms - which of course is the opposite that you would expect.

I hope I've been able to word this the best that I can. Thanks a bunch. -Josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.