175 AG Ign Problem (No Spark) .Help!!!

Simo
This post is 3930 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all

i'll up-date this post with pics and more info tomorrow if needed

i recently recieved a 175 Ag Bike 70 - 80 model road trail when i got it was running fine...

wires are running everywhere has been cut and shut a bit by the looks of it (the wiring loom that is) but non the less went well for 3 days no accessories worked atall , horn, light, brake light, etc... the key did turn the motor off and so did the kill switch... with the wires everywhere didnt want to touch it so left it at that until now no spark atall
so i have no spark have been trying the multimeter on it most of the day cant work it out wondering basicly is there a way i can take off the wiring loom and leave just the 4 wires from magneto and rewire them myself and if it goes i can rewire the rest or order a wiring loom etc...

surely someone can head me on the right path if i use the multimeter on the sparkplug and to the head i get a reading of 35 - 50 Volts yet no spark if i turn off the key or kill switch i get no reading so im pretty sure it isn't them and its possibly from magneto -- ignition coil -- spark plug

have tryed the plug on another bike sparks fine and tryed a different plug if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to test on the bike and a rough voltage i should/shouldn't get so i can isolate the problem a little easier

will also add it did have a battery in the loom originaly but it has been taken out and some of the wires moved or cut cant completely tell

any help appreciated thanks in advance

Simo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok thanks i'll check that and let you know what i find out have had the flywheel off and cleaned all the area but didn't actualy check the points only cleaned them

will rip out the multimeter and test the condenser and check the points
thanks again for your reply

-Simo

so took the casing off and looking through the holes/windows on the flywheel looking at the points while the bike is kicked over there's deffinatly no spark atall and they don't actualy look as if they open atall always seem to be shut cant visualy see them open atall but im off to work now so ill pull the flywheel off and examine the points / condenser when i get home see what i can work out, might need new points

Thanks again

-Simo

The points plate may have moved and it sounds like they are not opening on the cam. They need to be gapped correctly. I would replace them anyway but I know what it's like to want to hear a motor running.

Well I feel stuid lol after checking it 3 times with the young fella and explaining everything as we checked it all ......the screw in the points was loose so it wasn't set/opening and a bad earth (Severed earth lead) hmmmm ohwell fixed now and running again first ride tomorrow see how it goes and a tune up then back to wiring all the accessories
Thanks Again For All The Help

-Simo

I Should also add when i got the spark back and run the engine it would only run with the choke on so i was suspecting an air leak so a new air filter, clean/reconditioned the carbi put some sealant on all surfaces round reeds, manifold, carbi now runs fine and idles fine revs quite nicely better than before i think but have only idle / run the engine in shed like i said first ride tomorrow hopeing all goes well

the muffler tip needs fixing doing this in the morning but was curious what diffence it would make to replace the stock exhaust with a compresion chamber - baffle... ? i imagine it would interfer or stuff the engine's preformance.... or maybe blow up the engine lol but was curious if it would have any benifit if any

thanks again

-Simo

Exhausts are more scientific than people give them credit for. Keep it at stock if you can or there will be a load of messing with the jetting of the carbs. Best to get it running standard and well before you tinker with anything non stock.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online