How often should I change my oil?

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 4076 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I haven't changed my oil in my SR yet and have covered about 2.5k miles. I was thinking about 3k would be the time, but I recently saw one for sale stating the oil change every 300 miles? It's a 94 model and covered just over 42k miles.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Look in the manual Andrew. It will tell you the distance or time for oil changes. 300 miles is extreme unless they covered 300 miles every 6 months or year.

As a very general guide - Every 6 months or 4000 miles, whichever is soonest.

The 300 miles might have been checking your chain...

The manual says change the oil every 6k KM or 6 Months and the oil filter at every 12k KM or 12 Months.

6k KM is 3728.227 miles. I would always change the filter with the oil and only use genuine oil filters.

Hey, I wasn't far off! :)

Thanks all! I'm struggling to get hold of a proper manual - I can only find the Haynes and that's a struggle to get! Sounds like I need to change it all soon then - I don't want to be known as 'Grouch 2'!

The service intervals for various parts of your machine, along with instructions for most of it, should be in your Owners Manual.

If you don't have one, Yamaha offer FREE pdf downloads on their website:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

The Haynes is good enough but, while the full, official Workshop Manual is awesome, it will cost quite a bit.

However, all the basics for general maintenance will be in the Owners Manual. Supposedly, you should be able to do most of it with the toolkit they supply when the bike is new (if you have it). I can actually manage this on the FJ, but having your own kit at home is far easier!!

I forgot to mention it's a 94 model - so not that old - manufactured when I passed my cage test, so can only be a few years! Does mean that there is no tool kit with it, but I do have a basic set of tools - I can perform basic service stuff on my car that is mechanical, although with newer cars I find you can't do anything without a link up to a computer! As far as proper bike maintenance goes I'm a complete novice - so even with this, may still get some idiot questions!!

Keep an eye on the Halfords professional range of tools. Very good for the money and they tend to have good discounts just after Christmas.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online