new guys first question

Remelad
This post is 3965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning guys, hope we are all having a nice weekend :)

Just a quick question really, I have bought a dragstar 125 yesterday and have been trolling the internet for a service manual for it...to no avail.

Could any of you learned people point me in the right direction as I have the owners manual but need more info as I think I may need to change the piston rings

Best regards

Lee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Remelad and welcome to the club :) I'm afraid I can't help, I'm not a mod or staff for this forum but couple of bits of advice before any gets rubbed up the wrong way.

This is probably more suited post for the workshop board which I'm sure you will get plenty of info in return regarding changing the piston rings, I have found everyone is very helpful and friendly on this forum.

Second thing which is stickied in the workshop forum is that links to service manuals are not allowed as they are (usually) copyrighted and should not be redistributed.

Hope this helps, sorry that it doesn't answer your question though!

Good morning norcot, thanks for the advice mate. Its been many years since ive been on a forum other than the Facebook type things so etiquette I need to brush up on.

As for the manual...I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get a ligit copy...cos I dont want to pay £15 for something that was basically useless (wrong size eng...or fake)

Thanks for the heads up :)

I am happy to move this to the workshop area, just let me know.

I am not sure I have ever come across a manual for this bike.

DT that would be much appreciated mate...for some reason I cant see the workshop forum...maybe its cos im on the smart phone not full site...or need to upgrade.

Hopefully there is one otherwise trying ta get this bike sorted within 8 weeks maybe difficult :)

OK - I have left a link in the bar area so you can find the post.

Moved to the workshop. You should be able to see it on a phone. Depending on what phone you have it will be visible towards the bottom of the fist page. If you are in the "General" section of the forum on your phone you will not see it as you need to go back to the landing page.

Changing the rings is an easy job, made difficult as you will need to make sure that the timing is set correctly once you take the top end off and the tappets are set correctly once re-assembled.

Thanks DT, I will post in the correct place next time :) well I have a mech mate giving me a hand with this and other things the bike needs. Just wanted to make sure all the figures are right (inc timing). We did a compression test on it yest, was coming up between 120-145...it was only a suspicion as theres a knocking coming from the front end...and as ive always worked on cars (army landrovers and 4 tonners) this is new territory for me..as well as forums. Thanks for the advice mate

No worries.

These bikes seem to be reliable. I can't help with the settings but check that both cylinders are getting firing OK - plug condition and plug dampness. I know that the XV's had issues with the carb manifold (carb to engine) which splits. This could create knocking plus checking the tappets. I guess if it is a knock or a tap sound and when stationary or not.

Cheers buddy, knocking is mainly when riding but can still hear it when reving up. Checked plugs...slight oily deposits on one...slight soot on the other..but havent delved deep yet...definitely will check the manifold and tappets.

Its a beautiful bike and want it back to tip top order as will be doing alot of miles after eight weeks.

Will keep u posted with pics :)

One oily and one sooty plug. Are they the same brand and number? I wonder if one cylinder isn't igniting as well as it could causing an ignition knock. I would check this also. plug caps and HT leads (for arcing). coil connections.

I would eliminate all possibles before splitting the engine.

Same make and and number...I will be able to have a proper inspection next week as im off work...the last thing I want to do is split the engine so will definitely check everything over as you suggested. ..thank DT

Well a little update after a little more investigation (without looking in the engine) exhaust has 2 holes in it and thats in the places I can access easily and.the carb joint has blown (cracked and opens when revving) taped up ta see if it made a difference on the knocking...feels smoother but still knocked....just spoke to the guy who owned it before (my neighbour) who said it was losing power gradually for the past few months...the above faults could be the reason...but need to check and clean heads im thinking

Aye reme lad " usual simptoms of worn rings is blue smoke, and crankcase presure build up. :eusa_think: i think it be detonation you be hearing, try the higher octane fuel ... :yeah: loss of power = leaking exhaust,,,

Well no blue smoke. ..just sounds like a dirt bike from the front end which is whats concerning me...pressure test seemed fine...what a conundrum :-D

I probably shouldn't post this on this link, but since people have mentioned a knocking sound and a loss of power, I figured it may not hurt. I'm starting to experience a power loss around 5-6000 rpms and I occasionly hear some knocking sounds. I may have seen blue smoke a couple of times when I've fired it up, but I can't say that I've consistantly seen blue smoke at all. This is for a 74 DT125a. Thanks alot. I'd appreciate to know if it's bad etiquite to ask a question like this on someone elses question. Thanks.

Ah airsick " :spin2: your DT125 is a two-stroke,,, smoke is healthy. your knocking could be a rebore needed. it be piston slap , you be hearing. or crank bearing, but thats usually a rumble,,,small end. is a rattle, :yeah:

Thanks blackhat...I have welded the exhaust (numerous holes) took the carb joint off and taped (have the new part being delivered soon) just to see if that made a difference. ..bike is smoother but still rattles from the top of the front end at the higher end if revs. When that carb joint gets delivered im gonna inspect the valves/clearances...hopefully wont need a rebore but wilk deal with it if so...thanks guys :)

Well guys...little update...I have checked valve clearances and they seem ok...but after a looking around I have found a few things that, if not the reason, cant have been helping.1. Oil needs desperately changing as was a horrible light brown/beige colour...and splitting. 2. HT lead was de graded at the plug end...I have split and reattached...will update after oil change. :-)

Hey guys, well luck as has it, woke this morning to find my rear tyre has a puncture...as I have to change the rear brake pads in the next couple of weeks I can do this at the same time...just sods law that I have no wonga till next friday otherwise I would be hard on the issues this bike has in a shot.

So list as I see it at the mo;

Oil Change (inc filter etc)

Front Tyre

Rear Brake pads changed

Rear inner tube

Depending whether the oil change has made a positive difference to my "Knocking issue" depends if I have to dele deep into the engine

MOT

New HT leads (as cant hurt)

I will keep ya posted

Thanks everyone for all your help :thumb:

Rear tyre fixed...rear brake shoes turned out not needing replacement. ..just a service at ware gauge stuck...carb manifold arrived and needs some modifications as is for an xv125 not xbs...damn and blast...ht lead repaired properly...so well on the way guys.

Think my mrs is already bored of the 'greasy monkey look' :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online