Weekend in Cornwall

bippo
This post is 4070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I got back from my short bike adventure late last night, had a wicked time! Here's a breakdown of what I got up to:

The trip down

Quick check of the bike, loaded up and left Glossop around 11.30pm on Friday. Headed down via Buxton - Leek - Stone - Stafford - Wolverhampton - Kidderminster - Worcester. Absolutely loving the fact that my headlights light my way (as opposed to my YBR)!

I ended up joining the M5 at Worcester. It wasn't my original plan, but I rather foolishly left without a map (pretty much the A38 at that point all the way to Tiverton - but I didn't want to risk straying). I was also aware of time - a very short trip and I wanted to enjoy it in Cornwall as opposed to making my way there.

Once on the M5 I stopped at some services for some petrol and a break. Still bedding the new seat in and it was beginning to take it's toll!

Anyway I pressed on and made it to may favourite beach, Polzeath, for 6.30am on Saturday. Wonderfully peaceful - and not too hot, so I chilled out there for a while. Here's my bike there:

bike3.jpg

Making good use of the food I bought with me, I also took the opportunity to have some Cornflakes!

IMG_0500.jpg

After that I went for a little ride around Trebetherick, Rock, St. Minver, St. Issey, Padstow, Trevone and St. Merryn before heading to Perranporth. Had a little wander around the town until 10am before heading to the campsite.

The campsite

Ample choice in Cornwall as you very well know, but I chose Blue Hills Touring Park in Trevellas purely because the owners are bikers!

They were fully booked this weekend, but it didn't feel overcrowded. The have no set check-in / check-out times which is a positive during off-peak times, but a little frustrating when they are busy as I had to wait for 2 hours before a pitch was available. Not the end of the world though as I could talk bikes to the owners!

They have both toured the world on their Honda Dominators - some great sounding trips that just made me jealous. Gary's Dominator was there - and it really did look well travelled! I bet it has a good few stories to tell. Lou also writes for a bike magazine (forget the name) and had managed to blag a trip to Greece for 2 months on a Bonneville, complete with sidecar for their dog. Overall, their lifestyle just made me green with envy!!

Anyway, got to my pitch just after 12, it was absolutely massive, so I squashed up in case they could squeeze someone else in, which they did. Even with that we still had plenty of room. Pitching a tent in the mid-day sun on such a hot day isn't fun, so I did the quickest possible job of it! With no rain or wind, I wasn't too concerned.

bike2.jpg

Then came the dilemma, do I stick around in the campsite without any alcohol, or go to the trouble of gearing up again in the scorching sun? I chose to go out again, not wanting to risk safety too much, I did compromise and take my knee and back pads out of my gear. A few tears later I was back in full biking attire and feeling the heat. But once I was out of the single-track roads and able to get some speed the grin was back on my face! I didn't want to go to all that effort for a short trip, so ended up heading over to Wadebridge where I picked up my supplies.

By the time I got back to the campsite, it was starting to get a little cooler, so I just spent my time relaxing, drinking, reading, listening to music and cooking. Bikes are also far more practical than cars - they make for a good washing line!

IMG_0508.jpg

I wasn't the only biker in the campsite - spotted a GS1200 and got chatting to a husband and wife who both own Buell Thunderbolt's. They didn't have the bikes on them (Greyhounds came with them for the holiday), but it was nice being on a campsite that embraced biking.

I went for a stroll down to the nearby beach around 6.30pm - Trevellas Porth I think it's called. The tide was in, but I understand it's a lovely beach. Regardless of that I just sat and enjoyed the peace, as well as taking in the sites of the beautiful derelict buildings of an old Tin Town. I had to get a picture of my bike in this setting...

The final day

7.30am start to my day where the aim was to pack up as quickly as possible. I knew it was going to be another hot day and I didn't want to mess about with the tent when it was too hot. Good job really as by 8.30am the sun already meant business.

Back on the road at 9.30am, I headed back to that beach. A little navigation around some hairpins (freshly gravelled by the Council a week before) and I found a picturesque spot. Just a shame that the only camera I had on me was that of an iPad. Very difficult to get a good picture with the sun shining down on the screen, but here goes:

IMG_0519.jpg

Back on the bike and I went towards The Lizard, taking in some great country lanes between Gweek and Penryn. By the time I found myself back on a main road (near Redruth) I decided I should make tracks towards home. Hayfever was beginning to get the better of me, and the heat was crazy. I got to just outside of Okehampton before the heat got the better of me and I needed some shade. I found a good spot in a carpark and ended up staying there until 4pm. Had fun watching the world go by, listening to music, stocking up on fluids and grabbing a bite to eat. At one point, a bloke parked up next to me on this RD125 (which was in great condition):

IMG_0523.jpg

After that, it was just a dull trip home, where I'll only bore you further with another story... Stopped in some services on the M5. Getting ready to leave and I hear the tone of some bikes approaching, so I stop and look. Along comes a husband and wife duo, both on matching R1's with matching helmets. They perform a stupid (and pointless overtake) of a bewildered car driver. Let me try to explain this as best as possible...

Car was getting ready to leave, they were indicating left (towards the exit) and had quite rightly stopped at a give way sign, because the road they were going to pull out onto had a vehicle on it, also heading to the exit. So basically, nothing wrong with what either car was doing. The bikes suddenly appear at speed in a car park, husband in front. They intended on riding straight over this junction towards the services entrance. Instead of waiting two seconds for the car to pass and the other to pull out, they steam towards the junction, beep and then excessively rev the engine, pull onto the other side of the road at this junction and cruise straight over, in the path of one of the cars. Then, in true parrot-fashion, the wife copies her husband (complete with imitation throttle blipping). So, there's a 'thanks no. 1' for brandishing all bikers with the 'pillock' stamp.

But to top it off - both were in shorts and vest tops, oh - and no gloves. Just great. You immediately want them to fall off their bikes. But finally, let me leave you with this mental image of the whole affair... Imagine the wife (on an R1, you recall?) Well she was about 5'2" and had the girth of Dawn French. Can you all picture Dawn French bent over a sportsbike in shorts and a vest? I hope you can, and then you can all experience the vomit in the back of your throat as I did when I saw it.

Of course, I'd like to believe that both of them really used those R1's to their full potential, but my heart says 'no' for some reason...!

After that delightful experience, I pressed on home. I reset my trip back on that Friday evening, and feel rather pleased with myself for having clocked up 16 and a half hours of riding and over 800 miles:

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Short-lived, but it was my first biking adventure, and I loved every minute of it! Scotland next methinks... :hyper:

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks Ian! The bike faired really well - it's definitely a mile-muncher. I would have clocked up more miles, but I ended up being the weak link!

Nice report. I love Cornwall, spent 3 years of uni live in Falmouth and would absolutely love to go back. Its just so peaceful and relaxing and the roads are pretty decent too!

Its just frustrating that its a good 350 miles for me to even get there now =(

great report Bips and its always an adventure what ever you do on any bike :)

I did 650 miles in the pouring rain, not fun but it had its moments

yes, that's the trouble, quite a big round trip but that's why it stays reasonably unspoiled I suppose :spin2:

Just certain touristy areas that have become a complete dump...

Its just frustrating that its a good 350 miles for me to even get there now =(

But getting there is half the fun!!

Nowt wrong with Bude ,( that an atom bomb would not sort out ) I live not to far from there, and went to school there,

Nice pics, looks like a good trip there bippo , blue hills has a good reputation for being biker freindly

Crikey bip thats a heck of a trip for just a weekend, Great report it made for some interesting and amusing reading

I went to Cleveleys and back...that was a long way for me lol.

BTW did you trade the YBR in for the big T ?

Crikey bip thats a heck of a trip for just a weekend, Great report it made for some interesting and amusing reading

I went to Cleveleys and back...that was a long way for me lol.

BTW did you trade the YBR in for the big T ?

Yeah it sure is a long jaunt for one night in a field, but I wanted an excuse to go out for a proper ride on my bike! It was fantastic, and I'd do it again in a shot. :-)

No, I sold the YBR privately, got the price I wanted with no haggling so it was a breeze. I had nothing to hide with the bike so it sold itself really.

Originally, when I was looking at getting the ER-6f I was going to trade it in, but the Triumph garage I bought mine from sold purely Triumphs so only had larger CC bikes - personally I don't think they wanted the hassle of trading it on.

Nice Bippo! Wish I could convince hubby to take a trip like that. :)

Your topbox looks a little huge as well, Bippo... ;)

Better her top than her bottom. :biglaugha:

Better her top than her bottom. :biglaugha:

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!!

• Like 1

And you should see what I can do with it... ;-)

And you should see what I can do with it... ;-)

You're right, I should... Skype with webcam, or is it easier to video it and email the file to me? :D

• Like 1

Nice one Bippo,,,,,there's no stopping you now, eh!

Mile munching into different lands is very addictive and great fun

nice one :D

I also want going to scotland at the start of august.

if anyone know some nice locations there, please let me know, thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online