House Survey

iandouglas
This post is 4075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My brother has found a terraced house built in 1995 for his daughter and her husband

He wants me to give it the once over, although I have some qualifications in that area I

suspect that any issues that the couple have with the place will be something I can't anticipate

any advice please?,

especially those of you who have bought a modern house as to what any potential pitfalls might be

seems no sinificant alterations have been made and that it has a new boiler,

the roof is just two slopes so no valley gutters

- it's a mid terrace (what the neighbours are like isn't my concern)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Timber frames, lack of brick ties, Sewer or other mains inspection covers in the garden orany structural changes spring to mind.

Brick ties you wont be able to judge.

I would walk away from a timber framed house in the UK.

Inspection covers means that if there are issues then people will have access to the house.

Structural changes - have they been carried out correctly and has permission been granted, garage conversions to rooms etc can cause issues.

have a look in the eaves too. Look for evidence of damp and make sure the guttering is sound and not skewed.

Unless they have a damp proof certificate, the valuer will always insist on having a damp proofing done no matter if its damp or not (cheeky feckers) its to protect themselves not you.

If you have any, you likely won't be able to tell the difference between a main sewer manhole/inspection chamber cover and that for a private sewer, unless you work in the industry.

However, I do so if you find anything, PM me the address details and if it's within our area, I'll let you know what we have there.

If you have a mains sewer, we may require access to that in the event of flooding, or simple maintenance, which can be enforced through Section 159 of the Water Industry Act... but we ask nicely several times first and only use S159 if people are awkward buggers! ;)

Ah, outside my area.

You should be able to get details from the local water company though, if it's not in the official survey.

If its a mid terrace, the I assume its staright in off the street thorough the fron tdoor? The check access from the back, it may be a common access to all of the rear of the properties

Water metered?

Noise transfer through the walls from the neighbours?

Check pointing, modern pointing is not what it once was, too much sand/not enough cement (cost cutting)/no depth

Check for if in flood zone

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online