Grouched/Ungrouched

jimmy
This post is 4073 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Non Yam bike related, so here goes

Having neglected working on my 59 Speedtwin for a wee while, I set about it with gusto these last few days. Finished all the wee jobs, added oil and petrol and went to fire it up. 2nd kick having stood unused for God knows how many years so I was all chuffed. I had left the exhaust off so after fitting them I tried it again, Nowt, as in no power....a blown fuse was the culprit however every time I replaced the fuse it would blow again. Tried a few things with the multimeter but all negative results. Finished late last night and asked for help on a couple of Classic bike forums. Anyway back at it today, and having thought about it whilst out running this morning I was thinking what had I done.

Some breakfast down me and out to the shed armed with some AC/DC and a cup of tea. I started to isolate each circuit (ignition, lights, charging) when I discovered it was the lighting circuit at fault. On checking all the wiring I discovered that some pillock, that'll be me, had connected an earth wire to the lighting power block...fud.

Anyway set it all up as it should be and tried again...yipee it runs. Still some work to do, the bike wont rev up so some setting up of the carb is in order and the clutch is very heavy so I will need to look at that, but hey, it runs

http://s151.photobucket.com/user/brackenbrodie1/media/1959SpeedTwin002_zpsb726156f.mp4.html

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

where's the ac/dc music then?

that bike needs a good thrashing IMHO

That looks nice Jimmy almost made me nostalgic but I like an electric start now so will not be asking what you want for it!!!!! :jossun:

Cheers folks

Drewps

You're right, I must have moved on from AC/DC to Wullie Nelson at the time of filming :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

Running is good... very good.

Nice,but being a amal carb aren't you suposed to have to reset it every ride LOL. Them old trumps are cool to look at but the dependabilty is well lets say iffy.The xs650 has just as much charter IMO and run for ever .Cool to see someone who actualy might ride a 59 and not just oogle over it there are garages full of thoes ones. Thake her out and post a vid.

PS love the lake view verry jellouse would have fishing pole in hand every morn.

Cheers dt

I agree with the reliability and xs650 comparison, however it has had a number of upgrades by the PO including 12v conversion, electronic ignition and morgo oil pump so once fettled it should be ok. I am thinking of either getting the Amal reconditioned or (whisper it) fitting a mikuni

Re the Lake view, its the River Clyde and in Scotland we do Lochs not Lakes (with one exception)

Good spot Airhead, on both counts.

Still need to buy a pancake filter for it

Lake loch river don't matter to me if there is fish in it then I will fish the water.

I would put the mic carb on and be done with it, a nice flat slide keihin would be better,but then again if you can get the amal to work then it's stock and purest wont hassel you.Form a preformance view the mic or keihin would add a bit more power and dam the purests who keep bike's under glass only to show them at concours,every show I go to I just want to slap them and tell them to go ride the #u in thing you poser.Most of them won't even ride the bike to the show so I call them trailer queens.realy whats the point of owning a bike that you have no intention of ever riding,I'v even met guys who don't even ride but own a trailer queen :crazy: because they thought it would be fun to restore :wank4az: what a waste of a bike. O well each to thier own at least that 1 will be ridden :headbang:

Lake loch river don't matter to me if there is fish in it then I will fish the water.

Cheers mate, the kinda answer I'd expect from a Yank :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Anyway, you're right a mikuni would probably mean easier running over the term. The purists would have a coronary lookig over the bike anyway

Cheers mate, the kinda answer I'd expect from a Yank :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

he's not a Yank and would probably resemble that remark

he's not a Yank and would probably resemble that remark

I know that..... I was looking for a reaction, from dt obviously, but drewps will do :spin2:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online