XT 125 R head bearing

This post is 4091 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

As expected it seems like my head bearing have gone. Bit of history; my steering is very stiff when turning the bars to the right, to the left it's fine. My bro has been borrowing the bike, so I suspect it's that he hasn't been covered and he's left it parked up with the steering to the left, and it's rusted the head bearings. Now that I have it back, it's up to me to sort it. It seems like the cables aren't overly puling, and tyre pressures are fine. It's just been in for MOT and failed, obviously, and the guy confirmed it's the bearings.

I was thinking of doing it myself, and reading up on here it seems like it's not the most difficult job. However I can't get hold of bearings from M&P or Wemoto, both said I probably have to check with dealers. Anyone know where else I can try/if I'm asking for the wrong thing. I assume I just need the bearings (do they come with the racers?), and do I need to do the lower bearing inner race as the Haynes manual says only remove that if it needs replacing. Any other bits I need/info I need to know?

Thanks for the help!

Yus

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Also, just taken to some guy to have a second look, and he reckons it could be the steering stem (?) As its v stiff to the right but fine to the left. He's gonna look at it later today and call me back, could this be the case or is he trying to fleece me (I've never used him before so have no idea what he's like)

Have you checked fleabay? Sets come with all the parts. Tapered ones are the best, if you can get them. Not a big job but the old ones need to be knocked out and the new ones pulled in. You need more grease than you get in the sets. Often, bearings are 6mm or 1/4 inch. You need to check this is the right size yourself, if you are just going to replace the bearings and not the cups (sold on fleabay).

Never heard of a steering stem going. It is a solid rod of metal and very thick. I cant see what can go wrong with it unless it isn't properly pressed into the bottom yolk but then the forks and front wheel will fall off anyway. It doesn't touch anything but the bearings. Sounds rubbish to me.

Thankfully it's all sorted. The guy stripped it down a bit and apparently the chassis at the top next to the steering lock was slightly bent and was catching, hence the stiffness when turning to the right. He asked if anyone had tried to nick the bike as someone trying to turn the steering with force when the steering lock was on may have caused that. Sorry I don't know the technical terms for the parts that were damaged, but hopefully this may help someone else at some point! I'll try to get some pictures up so I can explain better what I mean.

Thanks for all the help!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online