Legal Position

iandouglas
This post is 4082 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Say, for example, you were offerred a motorbike, as a project.

You already have a motorbike but this one you are offerred is nearly complete, something to work on/restore

I know that if it isn't taxed you would have to declare SORN but does it have to be insured?

thought I heard something to that effect but not sure and I can't recall where I got that idea from.

can you help with this please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Doesn't have to be insured if it is SORN. Doesn't have to be SORN if it has been off the road since ???? I can't remember the year but I did post up something about continuous insurance a while back.

Edit - Found it here

What I've been told by my insurance brokers is that you only have to insure it if you keep it on the "Public Highway"

Hope this helps Ian.

If it is SORNed, you don't need insurance.

However, it can be good to insure it, as you are covered for any theft.

Why would you tax it unless you were taking it on the road?

If it is going on the road, you need to insure it.

Fairly straightforward and sensical, really. I don't know what all the fuss was about on the other thread!

Check out if your household insurance covers it. This may depend on its value and that it is a vehicle. If it is stripped, technically it is parts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online