2006 125 DT RE rode with choke on first day :'(, total noob

rjw99
This post is 4095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, ive been driving cars for 10+ years and decided to get a bike as i'll be studying in Leeds in September and wanted a commuter bike. I know nothing about bikes, but sold the car and bought myself a 2006 125 DT RE.

Took it out for the first time last night and stupidy (i know now) drove it with the choke on. I've come to strat it this morning and it turns over but does not start.

Ive tried turning the choke over and spinning the engine for 5 seconds and trying to start it but still doesnt spark.

This leaqds me to my question, i understand i need to get the spark plug out and clean it, but where is the spark plug? ive got no idea.

have i wrecked the bike?? help! has my journey into bikes ended here :-((((((

any help appreciated, a photo of where the spark plug is would be really useful.

thanks all :'(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dunno how much you know about engines, but this is a Noob's guide.

You'll probably have to unscrew and remove the plastic cowling.

Follow the HT lead down into the engine.

The spark plug (I assume this is a single cylinder) will likely be somewhere around the top of the engine.

You want an NGK BR8ES spark plug.

This pic is a DT400, but likely a similar layout.

See the cylinder, the bit with the fins? At the top is a thick black lead with a silvery right-angled end-cap. That is the HT Plug and the sort of thing you're looking for on the 125. Might be something other than silver-coloured.

Carefully pull that off and the spark plug is underneath.

Yamaha_DT400B-engine.jpg

I assume you know how to remove the spark plug?

• Like 1

Try a new sparkplug, get two, fit one and keep the other for spare, once upon a time we had manual chokes in cars too ya know :)

cheers mate, will try, got AA coming didnt realise it was included on my policy, so least i'll get shown what to do. And yeh bit clearer in cars though lol my mistake assumed the choke should be up not down, dumb as my favorite saying is "assumption is the mother of all fuck ups" lol will post here what AA guy says to help anyone else in same situation.

Also, I'm bored at work, so this is about as helpful as people get, unless you post an Intro in the Introduction section.

One-post wonders are considered quite rude, y'see. ;)

• Like 1

Dunno how much you know about engines, but this is a Noob's guide.

You'll probably have to unscrew and remove the plastic cowling.

Follow the HT lead down into the engine.

The spark plug (I assume this is a single cylinder) will likely be somewhere around the top of the engine.

You want an NGK BR8ES spark plug.

This pic is a DT400, but likely a similar layout.

See the cylinder, the bit with the fins? At the top is a thick black lead with a silvery right-angled end-cap. That is the HT Plug and the sort of thing you're looking for on the 125. Might be something other than silver-coloured.

Carefully pull that off and the spark plug is underneath.

Yamaha_DT400B-engine.jpg

I assume you know how to remove the spark plug?

ahhh cheers mate, think its a bit different with the dt 125, AA guy coming in a bit so sure it will be sorted, thanks again for replies!!!

• Like 1

Also, I'm bored at work, so this is about as helpful as people get, unless you post an Intro in the Introduction section.

yeah can appreciate that, post a single post then get lost in the sands of time lol ive been looking for a good bike forum to join though, so will stick around seems alright here ;-)

Just about every HT lead will be quite thick and have that sort of shaped plug on the end, though, so you know what sort of thing to look for. One of the few universally recognisible parts on a bike.

Chances are it's behind the removable panel, near the top of your engine. I'd bet money on it!!

Also, I can't link you to it here (copyright reasons), but you can find owners manuals to download for free. Just Google.

• Like 1

Ok, AA guy started with the spark plug, which is located as in the photo above, i just couldnt see it because its a bit hidden. cleaned the spark plug, tried again, no joy!! checked the fueling, all ok. cleaned the spark plug again and we got it started with a push, think we were lucky, it just kicked in at the last try with plenty of throttle.

i rode it out, stopped and again after been stood for 30 minutes wouldn't start, same problem. AA guy came again, we replaced the spark plug with a new one, still no joy, but just kept trying with plenty of throttle and the choke OFF and it started.

im a little worried but i think its just a case of keep trying, plenty of throttle and clean the spark plug each time.

thanks for all your suggestions and help. just hope it starts in the morning :-/

I give up!! just gone to start it now, same problem, turns over but doesnt start. took out the new spark plug and it's clean. what else could be wrong? it started 2 times today with help so why will it not start up again? could riding it yesterday with the choke on have caused some damage somewhere else??

i am at total loss, any ideas? :'(

i am at total loss, any ideas? :'(

Yep

What he said.

Drain tank, clean it and entire fuel line out , including pump.

Clean carbs, check timing and balance, all the usual.

Do everything that doesn't cost new parts.

• Like 1

sounds to me as if the fuel cock maybe getting left on

or problem with the float valve

possible "flooding" of the carb

or has the choke line screwed up

when you manage to get it started will the bike start up again ok if you turn it off then start again

or does this problem only occur AFTER bikes been standing a while

• Like 1

Just to put your mind at easy running with the choke wouldn't have hurt anything.

At the bottome of the carb there is a screw for draining the carb,try draing the fuel with the fuel tap in the off pos. If you don't have off pos clamp fuel line so fuel cant flow.

Place the spark plug on the head and make sure it's grounded crank over the eng and watch for spark( note do not place the spark plug over the hole or fire may blow out )if you have spark then put a tea spoon of fuel in the cylinder replace plug to hole and try to start should fire right up.if it does then turn the fuel to res or on quickly

If not Try another new plug and if you get it running take it out for a long ride to clean out the raw fuel. With the choke off LOL this time.Then when home make sure you turn the fuel to off possiton then in 5 or so min go out and try to start againg without choke ( only needed when engine is cold) Should fire right up even with the fuel in off pos,then turn fuel on and run for 1-2 min. turn fule off and wait 2-3 hrs till cold try starting without choke first if it dosent start then try with choke.

Now go and introduce yourself and thank everyone for all the help and let us know how you make out.As said 1 hit wonder who do not thank others who help make the members angery and if in the future you need help with other problems you won't get any. And it sounds like you might need some in the future.

• Like 1

And Google for an Owners Manual!! :D

Seriously, if you're new to bikes, simply reading this through and looking at the pictures helps immensely!!

• Like 1

Seriously, THANKS all!!! got it going this morning with help from the AA, trying to start it had killed the battery. gave it a GOOD LONG run today, so fingers crossed for the morning!!!

if it doesnt start i will use the posts above to try get it sorted, relieved to hear i wont have damaged the bike!!! AA guy says the piston rings may need replacing if it continues not to start.

Thanks again all!!!

oh and apologies for seeming rude, didnt mean to be, now introduced myself in the new members area :-)

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online