Now I work, now I don't

looney tunes
This post is 4099 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bike - 1997 XVS650 Dragstar custom

Rode down to Silverstone today from Worksop not a problem, on the way home all working fine indicated to pull on M1 all indicators worked, light on speedo flashed (as it should) pulled into the services for fuel again all ok, went to pull back onto M1 and no indicators, the light on the speedo didn't flash but the neutral light flickered faintly, pulled over and checked it all out.

Head lights work on low, dipped and main, back lights work, brake lights work.

neither indicators work, neutral light on the speedo doesn't light up when out of gear but does glow in first, engine light on speedo does not light up at all now either.

Any thoughts please. Thanks Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hopefully either a bad earth or feed on that circuit. I would check the fuses, not for them being blown but for corrosion and a tight fit first. If you have a wiring diagram I would check if they all share something in common in the wiring.

Take Speedo unit off and check for loose connections.

Well I finally got round to looking at the bike, checked all the fuses and flasher unit first, no problems found there, took the speedo out and checked the connections there as well, again no problems there.

Removed the rear mud guard again and tested the circuits and yes a problem in the wiring loom on the back, took all the black tape off that some one had put on there to find that the wire had been cut several times in the past and just twisted together and taped up ( one of these had let go ) so I bit the bullet and took it all apart and made myself a new rear loom re-using the bullet connectors but soldering the joints and heat shrinking to cover my soldered joints, and hey presto all working again.

Electrics, no problem..... Mechanical stuff, forget it that's where I get stuck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online