me, myself and my bike

This post is 3927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, my names Tony and this is my Yamaha XVS 650 Custom.

when I picked it up it had been modified, cut down rear mudguard, aftermarket indicators and lights, home made exhaust and other bits, on the plus side it had all the bits to take it back to standard, here's how it was advertised.

1ascome_zps831ce4f6.jpg

and once it arrived home

5arrivedhome_zps4a254157.jpg

unfortunately being the Muppet I am when I strapped the bike down I put the ratchet too close to the tank and damaged the paint both sides :eusa_doh:

IMG_0609_zpse4a92b5e.jpg

IMG_0603_zps74fb8cd7.jpg

sounded lovely but after getting insurance quotes for a modified bike I decided to take it back to standard,

Exhaust done

6exhaustsdone_zps0d9401a4.jpg

next thing to do was fit the full mud guard, fit the original indicators and re-wire them, remove the aftermarket front indicators and re-wire them too.

IMG_0599_zps81ee534c.jpg

IMG_0605_zps2aa4be28.jpg

IMG_0602_zps4b6f1099.jpg

still got the ape hangers on it and enjoying them but thinking do I want cow horns or put it back to standard? then there's the pannier bags do I re-fit them too......

IMG_0604_zps8b3463e8.jpg

well that's what I have been up too

I do have a quick question about panniers, I got some with the bike but they were not fitted, if you look at the photos you will see the little supports for the panniers, the thing is I also have them on the actual panniers as well, (firmly attached) do the panniers fix onto the supports that are already fitted or do I have to take the fitted ones off?

thanks Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great introduction! well done that man :jossun:

I have no idea how panniers attach to those bikes but would like to welcome you to the YOC none the less!

• Like 1

YAY, another 650 Custom Drag Queen!!!

Lots of Draggie riders here and the Custom is always the best choice. ;)

Solid bike, very fun ride and perfect for just about anything. I can't say much more, otherwise I'll start gushing and I've plenty of posts like that if you're that innerested, like!

What's the mileage, if I may ask?

Bars are up to you. If this is a frequently ridden bike, you'll want the originals, set to your own height. If you do them right, the standard mirrors will leave you with NO blind spots!!! Pretty wicked, eh!

However:

Ditch those other keys on the ring, or they'll swing and scratch the tank when you ride.

Keep an eye on the piece-of-shit regulator/rectifier bracket - It tends to snap just above the frame bolt.

Keep an eye on your rear monoshock - See my Attention Dragstar Owners thread for further details.

Keep the sodding thing as clean as you bloody well can!!

Seriously, clean, clean, clean, then polish, then protective coating. You'll regret it if you dont!!

Keep it well-serviced. Get the actual Yamaha workshop service manual, as Haynes and Clymer are somewhat erroneous. I can probably help you locate a copy, if you need.

Also, can you post up a pic of these odd saddlebags/panniers?

Usually, you just take the back seat off, throw the saddlebags over, refit seat and tie them to the supports with the leather thonging.

Lastly, this is a public forum, so you may want to open up Paint or something and cover up yer registration plate. Not everyone does, but it's a thought.

Oh yeah - Welcome to the forum!! :D

:welcome:

Hey Looney, great intro! Amazing how you can transform that bike from rat bobber back to "proper" with a couple of alterations: a rear fender and the exhausts.

You mention getting quotes for a modded bike and not liking them. May I ask which mod(s) the insurance companies didn't like? I certainly mentioned my aftermarket pipes on my insurance form, but didn't seem to affect my premium in any way. But then I haven't changed the intake or increased the power in any way.

Having said that, and bear in mind this is just my personal taste, but those rat pipes were bloody hideous! You can get a lovely sound, and great looks from something like a set of Vance & Hines Cruzers, or Shortshots, when you get tired of your bike sounding like a sewing machine! And the insurance companies don't seem to mind...

As for the paint on the tank, well you'll just have to have it resprayed somewhere. Thankfully it's black so you don't have to source the exact (expensive) Yamaha stock paint. As a stopgap you might even try a bit of hammerite on the bared spots. Won't look great, but better than it looks now!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the dragstar!

Hi Looney, welcome to the YOC, that is a PROPER intro!! Seems you will fit right in. :jossun:

Thanks all for the replies, have sussed the panniers out and fitted them, what a horrible job. Will post photos later.

The insurance company didn't like the cut down rear mudguard with after market back light and indicators or the exhaust modifications as they are home made ones, they were not too bothered about the handle bars but were concerned about who did the electrical modifications, it was just easier to put it back to standard.

• Like 1

Welcome loon" :jossun: whats it like to ride with ape hangers,, they look awfull, ? i"v seen bikes on the M.way with apes. is it comfy,?,

well here's the latest progress, not sure if I should be posting this in a different section.

here's the side pannier support wasn't sure if it was supposed to be still fitted with the other frame work.

IMG_0631_zps57e27688.jpg

a picture of the pannier from the front and from the back showing the fixing points

IMG_0632_zpscc0cc0b5.jpg

IMG_0633_zps552071ad.jpg

I took the bags of off the framework as it made it easier to fit, it's at this point I found out that the rear indicators have to be moved to accommodate the panniers, fortunately the pannier manufactures also thought of that and included an indicator mount, so I lengthened the wiring (yes I did do it properly soldered the wire and heat shrink, none of this male-female clips malarkey)

IMG_0635_zpsb268f706.jpg

here's a couple of pictures of the panniers fitted.

IMG_0643_zps183ffa67.jpg

IMG_0644_zps0431c5a4.jpg

IMG_0645_zps19950337.jpg

the observant amongst you will also notice I have fitted a luggage rack (well if was free and came with the bike so why not) also fitted some proper Dragstar mirrors.

That's it for now :jossun:

Looking good!!

Still not a fan of apehangers, but to each his own. Nice to see you have the square mirrors, too!

I'm not too keen on the ape hangers either but have you seen the price of two new throttle cables, clutch cable and the brake line...... Here's a copy of an email from my local Yamaha dealer.

Hi Tony,

The cables are available from Yamaha within 3 working days and are priced as follows:-

clutch cable - £16.63 inc vat

throttle cable 1 - £31.97 inc vat

throttle cable 2 - £30.74 inc vat

The standard brake line is £148

Just don't have that sort of money at the moment

Crimony, a braided brake line would cost about £20 to make!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online