Insuring a second bike at crazy premium prices?

j0hn
This post is 3957 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm up for renewal and my premium for the XT has gone up by £50 to £450, doesn't seem too bad. When I asked the same insurance company (MCE) for a quote about adding a second bike (WR250F) to the policy, I was quoted just under £1500!!! What the F! When I asked why it was that high, they said it was because of my age and that I shouldn't have two bikes, even though the WR250F is mostly for off-road riding. I'm really disappointed to be honest.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks, I was just thinking of calling BikeSure because of the promotion you guys have on here. Not really fond of giving out me personal information, but is there anything you want me to say on the phone to BikeSure for your commission?

this brings back my nightmare with bennetts - switching seemed to mean cancelling and starting afresh with the old policy being virtually worthless, ie hardly any residual value despite substantial time to run, i've now got a dual policy but if i buy or sell i shall do it around renewal time to avoid the hassle and cost of mid term changes.

The renewal and admin charges were the reasons I told my formerly wonderful Carole Nash to go fuck themselves this time and got myself a new (and much cheaper) policy with Churchill (through Devitt).

I have six bikes on one policy with Ducati Insurance.

None of them are Ducatis any more, but Ive never found anyone else to beat them.

Charges are reasonable for making changes or adding bikes too.

Worth giving them a call.

V.

I used the special YOC number to give Bikesure a call today and they quoted just over £1000 for my XT alone... ridonkulous! I told the woman on the phone that a Bikesure rep even thought the quotes I was getting were just wrong and all she said was that it's the cheapest she could do. She then passed me on to another insurance company to yet again be quoted a similar premium. I might just have to stick with MCE's £450 quote for my XT and put the second bike on the back burner just now. It's just really annoying that what I do for pleasure is determined by insurance companies and their premiums trying to scrape every single penny from me.

@Lee, just want to ask a general multi bike insurance question. Why isn't the premium for multi bike insurance for a single owner (meaning you will be the only rider using the bikes) determined by the bike with the highest premium?

For example, if the individual premium for bike A is £400 and bike B is £600, why isn't the overall premium for both bikes under one policy be £600? If you're going to be the only rider, only one bike will be in use at any one time. However, current premiums seems to suggest that both bikes are at risk simultaneously. I really don't understand the logic here. Maybe if the bike is parked on the side of the road, it might make a little sense when you take risk into account, but, for some that is keeping both bikes inside a locked building and for a TPO only policy, it doesn't make sense.

are you trying to get fully comp?- i think that may well be your problem.

I bet those WR's are pretty high up the list of bikes likely to be targeted for theft- Only thing i can think of.

No, I would probably have to sell an arm and leg to get fully comp. It has always been TPO (Third Party Only) and that's what I've been trying. It's not just the WR though, I'm getting that £1000 quoted by Bikesure for my XT, that's double the offer made by my current insurer.

Try CompareTheMeerkat.com, Devitt and the Admiral websites.

Also, be honest about the value of your bikes. Don't try and insure them for 5k if they're only worth 2. Also, try dropping the value and the mileage by 1 (ie 3,999 instead of 4,000), see what that comes out with.

Lastly - Get a comparison website quote, another off each of the cheapest 5 companies' own websites and then one on the phone (try and do the second one while sorting the third). Then play them off, both against each other and against themselves.

It takes (me) a good half-day, but saves you hundreds!!

Dude, you're so right. I just used GoCompare and MCE just quoted £300 for the XT, that's £150 quid cheaper than over the phone, WTF lol. Then I tried a quote for the WR250 and got £400. So, if I get two individual polices from the same company, it's cheaper (£700) than the £1500 they quoted me originally for a single policy for both bikes.

Edit: Does joining a biking organisation and having any advanced riding qualifications actually help?

No, I would probably have to sell an arm and leg to get fully comp. It has always been TPO (Third Party Only) and that's what I've been trying. It's not just the WR though, I'm getting that £1000 quoted by Bikesure for my XT, that's double the offer made by my current insurer.

where the hell are you living, nextdoor to a crack-house or something? 1000 third party!?!?! fuck man, i thought my 250 was alright, but nothing special- turns out im wrong!

According to Bikesure, I do indeed live next door to a crack-house in a shanty town. Through GoCompare, I got five companies offering me quotes under £700 with £300 being the cheapest (offered by my current insurer). You got £250 for your XT? What insurer are you with?

it says Aquote matey- had to check paperwork on that one lol

apparently i live in one of the cheapest parts of the UK to insure vehicles and its £252

But it didn't really seem to matter when it came to insuring a car....i shudder at how much i used to have to pay :shakeno:

Dude, you're so right. I just used GoCompare

Edit: Does joining a biking organisation and having any advanced riding qualifications actually help?

Check Admiral *and* the Meerkat as well, as you may find even better results. My basic premium was under £90!!

Organisation... depends on many other factors as well, I think. Probably drops it by a fiver, or something.

I was having problems using Meerkat because they pre-calculate date margins so I wasn't able to set my one year's NCB (on the day my current insurance ends). Getting a quote without that NCB meant I'll be paying over a grand. Used Admiral just now and I seem to be getting a lot more companies offering much cheaper quotes. Specially Bikesure with £612.19 premium for full comp and £593.68 for third party only... from the people that said £1000 was the cheapest for me. I'm starting to think there is some information these comparison sites aren't sending or sending information I haven't specified to make these premiums lower.

I quizzed the Churchill guy in depth about what the Admiral quote covered and while there were a few optional extras that cost an extra £40 in all, the premium still stood.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online