puncture

kearnsy123
This post is 4115 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im just wondering what everyone does when u get a puncture .. ive never got one yet but I do a lot of driving up the wicklow mountains and would hate to b stranded up there with a flat tyre !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some carry puncture repair kits, others have their tyres filled with self-sealing compounds. Depends on your bike and how easily you can apply either of these.

The good ones have one of the above and break-down cover. The reasonable ones and those with awkward bikes have just the breakdown. The disaster-courters have zilch...

GOOP in the back tyre and my wallet + AA recovery, Oh and a drink snack and a packet of fags cos the AA take forever to get to you and they know sod all about bikes.

Fags, phone, card of some description and recovery cover. I have used the tyre sealer many years ago and it seemed to be ok. Messy when tyre comes off though. I think that you can't use the mushroom repairs on at least some tyres, if not all. Something about the speed rating I think but I am not sure.

at the very minimum a mobile phone, breakdown cover and a mars bar to keep your blood sugar and energy up whilst your waiting, if you have space you can take a tubeless repair kit with C02 bottle inflators, even if its just a temporary measure to get you back to civilisation

My opinion is that, if you worry about having a puncture then don't ride.

When is the last time you had one, have you had one?

You could almost start a new topic and ask people how many punctures they've had?

Incidentally, I have had only one in the last 25 years and that was a tubed tyre doing only 45mph, I think tubeless tyres are more robust so the likelihood of getting one are very remote.

When doing approx 70mph on a dual carriageway/motorway the last thing you want to think of is getting a blowout.

I'm insured with Carole Nash and breakdown assistance comes with it so all I need is my mobile phone.

Agree with mike

When I got my bike it had that green goo in both tyres the mechanic who changed the tyres had to spend a lot of time cleaning up all the residual hardened stuff off the rims to get a good fit and advised me not to use it

When I did have a puncture I used road rescue auto aid which took the bike back to the garage I use and me too but generally I think if you do not let the tread get too low there is not an undue need to be concerned.

That green goo is a load of shite! Both my XJ tyres were full of it when I bought it and it caused grief trying to balance the wheels which as a result caused front end wobble at high speed.

guys, the purpose for this kit is not to fix permanently your tyre, is just an option for the moment... you fix your tyre, go to next garage when they tell you if you need another tyre or this may be repaired. I prefer to waste 20 min fixing my tyre than waiting 1 h for recovery in wind and rain; + it is fun :P.. and all this fun for just 20 pounds, most kits have 12 plugs and 3x CO2 canisters. also you can buy a minipump for motorcycle. some people run the bikes with those "plugs"? (is that word corect?) without any other fixing but is not recommended.

btw, the link was a fast search on youtube for repair kit. lot of brands and in all motorcycle part shops.

@foamy over 2-3 repairs on a tyre with those kits is caled suicide.

if you have a crater in your tyre, is good to have a phone with you lol, if is to small, you have the tools in this kit to make a large hole... I change the link with another more funny :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online