Throttle response at small openings.

greasemonkey62
This post is 4117 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya I am having problems when going around tight corners where a small trickle throttle opening is needed, it does not work unless I open it a bit more but this then causes the bike to jerk forward at too high a speed, I have also had the engine stop when slowing to a T junction and pulling the clutch in with the throttle closed but still in gear, the bike restarts ok but I have no idea why it should stop. I did wonder if the spark was weak at slow engine speeds but wanted some feedback before taking things apart.

The bike is a TDM 900.

Cheers Ray.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cutting out when coming to a stop normally means that the idle is too low. Going around the corner and the bike jerking can be that the wrong gear has been selected.

All that said, has the bike been serviced recently and is the chain and clutch adjusted properly? Some bikes benefit from a power commander. I am not sure if the TDM is one of these as the 900 is the later model and I would have thought they would have sorted this out on the 850's. worth checking though.

Thanks for that but the idle is set correctly, and its not in the wrong gear there is just no response from small throttle openings its as though the throttle is still closed with the engine still on run down. When the throttle is opened further it seems to wake up but it is then at too high a speed for non sweaty tight cornering.

Cheers Ray.

I'd have said clutch is off, maybe stretched/badly-adjusted cable or something.

Interesting article, although talk of ECMs, fuel injections and electrical gubbins sounds a bit above my pay grade!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online