YBR125 pattern fork stanchions/tubes

This post is 4121 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

I'm in the process of replacing my fork tubes and I've opted for pattern parts due to the cost of the OEM ones.

Bought the pattern set of fork tubes as a pair from what I believe to be a reputable supplier (not sure of the rules about mentioning who on here, so I'll wait to be asked) and they're about an inch longer than the ones I've taken off my bike.

Also, they're not perfectly identical - though the length and outer diameter are the same and I believe the inner diameter to be the same, one has "YAMAHA" engraved on it in mirror image and the hole at the bottom is a slightly different size.

My question is: are either of these things a problem - I bought them advertised as a pair so I'd expect them to be exactly identical?

Taking the second one apart was much easier once I'd done the first! It turns out that the long T70 torx bit which is recommended by the workshop manual and other posters needs to be about 30cm long (tip, use an extension bar) and can get stuck inside the tube if it's on 1/2" drive. I had to poke it out from the bottom after unscrewing the damping rod by pulling the tube and the holder apart while unscrewing - have ordered a 14mm hex drive one now as my 14mm socket fits down the tube...

Thanks

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would have sent them back if I was not happy with them. Did they come form overseas?

Personally I have no problem with naming bad (or good) service providing it is honest. If goods are being sold that are shoddy, they it is good that people are informed. I think a lot of us research the tinterweb for reviews on most things so use its power.

Why did you want to replace the tubes? they can be re-chromed and straightened providing they are not too far gone.

They came from Brooks Barn as a pair - http://www.brooksbarn.co.uk/YBR125-PAIR-of-FORK-TUBES-stanchions_A16UQD.aspx . I'm going to phone them tomorrow and ask them about it, but I want to see if I'm asking a stupid question or not first - I only noticed yesterday when I laid them next to each other. They did also send the wrong grade of oil first time as well...

Replacing them as one got really quite bent when I got attacked by a tree branch falling in the road. Frame, wheel and front axle are ok :). Had to bend the foot peg back with a scaff pole though!

I would wonder how much messing you are going to have. If you get part way through and you hit a problem I doubt if they will take them back. If you brought them online you can use the distance selling laws to get your money back.

Spoke to them and I have to say that whilst their computer system appears mildly useless, their service reps are very helpful and willing.

They don't think that the extra length will make any noticable difference, but they are sending me another pair after double checking they are identical to each other! He thought that the length difference might be on an offroad variation or similar which isn't availabe here.

Thanks for your help

If anyone is tackling a fork overhaul job on a YBR or similar, I would be more than happy to share my experience, so please send me a pm!

Chris

................If anyone is tackling a fork overhaul job on a YBR or similar, I would be more than happy to share my experience, so please send me a pm!

Rather than starting PM's why not start a thread in the project section?

PM's are fine for a little bit of private contact but if we all PM'd our advice there would be very little left on the forum. Sharing the trials, tribulations and success' is a much better way of doing this.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online