6 June 1944

DirtyDT
This post is 4123 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well. A few years have past since the historic D day landings on 6th June 1944. I just wanted to say "Lest we forget".

I have been to the landing beaches in Normandy and it is hard to imagine the horror these guys went through to keep us free.

Bless them all.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I second that. Ive been to paccendale (if thats how you spell it) and to ypes and they are a big eye opener too. Shocking at the conditions they had to live in etc.

Lest we forget and may the green fields hold them kindly

I've been to the Somme, Ypres, Dunkirk, but the place even now makes the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck when I think of it is Hill 60, it was blown up by mines 3 times I think. There are still thousands of British, Canadian, and German soldiers still buried in that hill never to be found or given a proper funeral It's the weirdest place don't know whether it was just the day we went there but there were no birds or other animals in the woods and area of the fortifications on the hill.

My Father in law was with the BEF and did the Dunkirk thing stukas and all got back to blighty with his underpants and tin hat, THEN he was up the beaches again on the 6th June with all the other poor sods and WALKED to Germany, took him 3 years to get there and never a scratch, he thought he was lucky FFS! Heroes come In all shapes and sizes. May your God grant you peace.

I've been to the Somme, Ypres, Dunkirk, but the place even now makes the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck when I think of it is Hill 60, it was blown up by mines 3 times I think. There are still thousands of British, Canadian, and German soldiers still buried in that hill never to be found or given a proper funeral It's the weirdest place don't know whether it was just the day we went there but there were no birds or other animals in the woods and area of the fortifications on the hill.

Yer I remember that place, the crater is massive! I agree with you that it is very eery up there.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online