Bye bye Middle lane hoggers! Hello Mr and Mrs chop and change.

sentiant
This post is 4123 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just heard on the idiot box that they have decided to make middle lane hogging and tail gaiting a driving offence. This is great news and I think will be welcomed my most. I am a little concerned though over the implications of this, are we now going to see more and more cars ducking in and out of lanes because they don't understand what over taking is and what middle lane hogging is.

I tend to stick to inside lane myself and have a right old time dodging people "pulling in" into "empty" (me) lanes which either forces me to back off into the car behind (now causing him to tailgate me) or have to pull out into middle lane to get room (look, now I am a hogging the middle lane till I can find a spot for me). I just feel that this could cause an increase in this behaviour and more problems for us (the invisible few) who actually enjoy riding and the challenge of riding well on our atrocious roads.

What's your thoughts on this?

link to the story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22784983

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pisses me right off when people do either tbh, im very defensive when im driving, had some twat in a chrysler 300 try and overtake a long queue of 20mph traffic on the crosshatches on the A417 from gloucester, naturally when the traffic got to about 40mph he attempted to push infront of me (big green 4x4 with a trailer and SR on the back... not like he didnt see me), blasting the horn did nothing, so i held my position and by moving further into my lane he put a dent in his rear wing. Insurance company agreed he was at fault, i had to wipe his paint off my bullbar, bellend.

much like those who speed up when you overtake them, causing you to either increase your speed (i dont do more than 70 in the cage, too expensive on fuel) or reduce speed and drop in behind them.

i can deal with the ones who chop and change ASLONG AS they are situationally aware and dont change lanes without checking it is clear, the ones that do loose thier wingmirrors, simple as

i can deal with the ones who chop and change ASLONG AS they are situationally aware and dont change lanes without checking it is clear,

That's the problem, particularly mornings I find the quality of driving found on the M20 is appalling with little to no situational awareness.

I think they should expand this to the assholes who think the national speed limit on a non-motorway road is 40mph. Going down the A339 to Alton I've had to brake hard on many occasions as I come off a corner at 60 only to find a car doing 35 - 40.

• Like 2

Just a piece of distraction politics. The police already had powers to deal with it. The country is in a right state and it's typical now for the government to put out a pish-posh story to take people's eyes off the real stuff.

Really pisses me off.

So what are they classing as hogging the lane? 1mile? or 10miles?

I hate those that tail gate and lane hog, with tail gaiters i normally piss them off more than they piss me off, either slow down to 20-15mph to give them a reason to tail gate, left foot brake a few times, of stick my fog light on (in the MG not the mini) as it looked similar to the brake light and they shit them selves and you keep driving :D

Lane hoggers just get over taken unless they are in the out side lane which is pretty hard to over take then

Good change I think. The real difference is it is an instant fixed penalty and points as apposed to having to take them to court. A ker Ching for the government of course but a good one in my eyes. On my way to work where the A60 meets the A52 there are 3 lanes on a roundabout. 2 to turn left and one for straight ahead and turn right. There are increasing numbers of people using the right hand lane to turn left there. They do this because the tail back to the roundabout is shorter. Just no respect for anyone else and the rules in today's society. They l need a good slap. And then a short ban. Even if you are lost and found yourself in the right hand lane and need to turn left, what harm is there to just go completely around the roundabout?

As DirtyDT says its the move to fixed penalty that's the good part, a fine and 3 points could see a lot of the idiots loosing there licences.

Albeit not a really busy road but on a local roundabout the two lanes are clearly marked up with great big white arrows on the road as the inside one for turning left and straight on and the right hand lane for turning right, but this morning as most mornings you will get someone using the right hand lane to overtake you on the roundabout while going straight on, this morning was a silver BMW estate ( surprisingly with working indicators ).

Try the A14 and the lane hogging HGV drivers, nearly became the filling in an artic and crash barrier sandwich last week and I was in my 4x4 was level with his back axles in outside lane he just pulled out had to stand the 4x4 on it's nose braking if I'd been on the bike I would not be posting this then had to follow the f+++++g t++++r for nearly 5miles before he got past the lorry he was overtaking. Most of the congestion on the A14 is caused by overtaking lorries and be extra careful if your overtaking a left hooker.

The A14 is a great road except for the hgv's in both lanes, even when the restrictions tell them to use the inside lane only, and the odd speed cameras.

I almost hate to say this but "THE FRENCH" have the right idea, on m/way or dual c/way they pull out move to pass and PULL BACK IN every time and they don't then slow down so your right up their arse we could do this if we wanted to but every one of us is guilty of it at some time. Agree that on the spot fine will make some get the idea that 3 lanes of tarmac do not belong to them just cos they paid their car tax. By the way UNDERTAKING is "NOT ILLEGAL" in the UK look it up if you want can't say it's safe but you can do it if there's room to pass. :jossun:

..and tail gaiting a driving offence.

I read the source you linked but it stated nothing about making tailgating a driving offence. Looking more into it, I found this press release on the gov site which lists tailgating and an increase fine for mobile phone abusers to £100.

I think they should expand this to the assholes who think the national speed limit on a non-motorway road is 40mph. Going down the A339 to Alton I've had to brake hard on many occasions as I come off a corner at 60 only to find a car doing 35 - 40.

And then it's normally the same arseholes who stay at 40 through villages and children's (mine) play park areas!

I almost hate to say this but "THE FRENCH" have the right idea, on m/way or dual c/way they pull out move to pass and PULL BACK IN every time and they don't then slow down so your right up their arse we could do this if we wanted to but every one of us is guilty of it at some time. Agree that on the spot fine will make some get the idea that 3 lanes of tarmac do not belong to them just cos they paid their car tax. By the way UNDERTAKING is "NOT ILLEGAL" in the UK look it up if you want can't say it's safe but you can do it if there's room to pass. :jossun:

try undertaking a pig on the motorway and see what happens clever dick.

Won't work but will make a pretty penny in on the spot fines.....and that's all that matters really isn't it? well it sure as fuck wasn't passed for my safety, was it

Also when i had a car the insurance was £3000 in my own name! but luckily my parents let me insure it in their name but that was still £1600, if i would have got a 3 point on the spot bullshit it would likely have increased by at least 30% and if i would have racked up 6 points in my first few years of driving i would have automatically lost my driving license!

ANOTHER thing that is more to do with speeding fines is that doing 33 in a 30 could get me half way to loosing my license.....i know you are thinking 'well keep an eye on the speed'. The thing with this is that people spend so much more time concentrating on their speedo then they should have too, and as a result are not concentrating on the road enough. If you don't believe me next time you are a passenger keep an eye on the speedometer and if the driver is very focused on the road as appose to speedo they do creep over the speed limit fairly often.....it's just a numbers game, pass enough cameras and they'll get you in the end.

One law that is rarely enforced around here is working lights on a trailer, i have lost count of how many of the old farmers i have seen pulling trailers with no brake lights connected to them....it's fucking lethal, the difference it creates in your ability to know when they are slowing down especially if they jump on that brake, it's scary. bloody farmers! (if any of you lot are bobbies, please keep an eye out for these twats and make sure you get them for it :eusa_snooty: )

Right i have well and truly gone off topic, moithering about bloody farmers! hahahah all i'm saying is there must be a better way to deal with these things then to take peoples money :eusa_think:

And then it's normally the same arseholes who stay at 40 through villages and children's (mine) play park areas!

yes! this pisses me off also, if you feel safe and in control of the vehicle at 40 on the wide open road, then HOW THE FUCK are you safe and in control doing the same speed though built up areas!

If the cops do there job it will be a good thing but what happens if you haven't got the money to pay? do there take the vehicle off you?

There are other rules as well which will effect bikers more than most ie. giving way at junctions you have to slowdown even if you can see there are no vehicles coming for miles, this will piss off the RosPa/ IAM boys as keeping up your average speed is paramount, also strait lining roundabouts (lane Discipline) which is also an on the spot 3 point £100 fine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online