CS5 charge light behaviour

flyday58
This post is 4034 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Mellow greetings all,
Does anyone know the normal behaviour of the charge light on the CS5? Mine will stay out above about 1800 rpm, but my manual says idle should be 1050-1200. Anything below 1800 and the light comes on and the engine falters slightly till the light goes back out above 1800.
The manual states that cut-in should occur around 1700 or 1900, depending on what page you are on. Does that, by inverse logic mean that cut-out occurs at the same point? I keep the idle at 1900 or so to keep the light out but the manual says that's way too high.
Any help or ideas as always is greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't know the specific answer but this sounds like old Skool cars that used a dynamo Rather than an alternator. They would often loose charge at tickover. This should be compensated when riding however, in the cars the battery charge was always in danger of discharging if you ran too many lights - like full beam and a couple of spot lamps.

• Like 1

Seem to remember the RD200 I had which had a similar dynamo / brush setup did this . I used to have tickover set to about 1500rpm and remember the charge light used to flicker on tickover and go out when the revs hit about 2000rpm.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the specific answer but this sounds like old Skool cars that used a dynamo Rather than an alternator. They would often loose charge at tickover. This should be compensated when riding however, in the cars the battery charge was always in danger of discharging if you ran too many lights - like full beam and a couple of spot lamps.

My thinking also-

Seem to remember the RD200 I had which had a similar dynamo / brush setup did this . I used to have tickover set to about 1500rpm and remember the charge light used to flicker on tickover and go out when the revs hit about 2000rpm.

Tony

This is similar to where I am at, although a gent over on the air-cooled forum is idling at 1200 with no problems.

Unfortunately, I have to tear the engine down as my rattle was not cured by new gudgeons and bearings. Did I post that? Different forum. Anyway, I will get a new battery once the engine rebuild is done, as it was down after only two weeks of sitting.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online