Yamaha FJ1200 owners!!!

Ttaskmaster
This post is 3966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heya,

Been offered an FJ1200.
Just wondering what opinions people had of this thing? Handling, performance, maintenance, general daily use, etc?

Anything specific to watch out for?

Thanks,
Tasky.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Like any bike they have their problems but most seem to think of them as indestructable know a couple of guys (vaguely) who have one and never heard a word against them, long plodding engine that will take you to the moon and back. You can strap practically anything to them and they still go like shit off a shovel. Would I buy one YES in a heart beat if her indoors found out tho I would be buried with it!! :jossun:

After living on my Cruiser I'm a bit scared I'm gonna bin an FJ, either from being too used to wazzing the throttle and having only 40hp to burble through, or simply from suddenly being so high up and falling over!!

You'll soon get used to it just like anything new take your time finding out what it will do and then wring it's neck and watch the world blur past, amazing machines according to some, you won't know till you try it. :jossun:

I went from an auld Bonnie to an xjr1200 and was lucky to keep my licence for the first few months. As said you'll get used to it and have great fun

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Like any bike they have their problems but most seem to think of them as indestructable know a couple of guys (vaguely) who have one and never heard a word against them, long plodding engine that will take you to the moon and back. You can strap practically anything to them and they still go like shit off a shovel. Would I buy one YES in a heart beat if her indoors found out tho I would be buried with it!! :jossun:

Buy it if you can, I had a Divi 900 and now have a FJR the power difference still takes me by surprise, I just stay calm and ride steady, having oodles of go in reserve makes me sit back and take journeys steady,

I had a FJ1200 3CV for almost 10 years and would probably still own it if I hadnt killed it.

Now apart from the extra power which there is more than enough the steering is very heavy as old style geometry. Most have been modded so getting standard one is getting rare.

Problems: Clutch Slave cylinder can fail.

The later calipers are prone to seize.

The early 12's had vented disc's and can warp or crack.

Number 1 valve can be tick but quite normal but can be got rid of.

Early models had anti-dive but didnt work that well.

Maintenance: Is fairly easy but you'll need a shim tool and carb balancers

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Cheers for the replies guys!
It's a K reg, I believe, so that'd be... 92-93.

Stock everything, apart from the previous owner putting shouty loud exhausts on... kinda 4-into-2 types that sound like a ranty child more than anything. No beef to them at all. My 'man' is currently changing them to something better and quieter. :)

Anti-dive?
Do I want to know what that is? Sounds like uprated forks or something...

I guess I'll know quite definitely when the clutch cylinder fails!

Do the carbs need Shimming and balancing often, then?

I bought an 1987 FJ12001TX about 5 years ago it was the bike I never wanted till I rode it still got it had all sorts since but the FJ remains. The engines pretty bomb proof still used in the XJR1300 and more than capable of over 100.000miles and easy to service as for the rest of the bike just check what you would on any bike your buying. Performance wise when they were released they were yams top sports bike so it will still top 150mph and if pushed is quick to get there but it's biggest plus is the torque on real roads most over takes are comfortable in top gear from about 30mph. They are old school and performance handling and brakes are not the same as a new crotch rocket but a hell of a lot of bike for there money.

Go for it or at least test ride it you will be pleasantly surprised.

As mentioned, my biggest concern is one day overcranking the throttle.
I have a 40hp cruiser anyway, but the enlarged heated grips mean I'm used to turning it quite far just to get the revs up.
With such small grips on the FJ and three times the power, I'm terrified of unconsciously whacking it open and blasting the bike into something, or flipping it up on the back wheel!

Still gonna give it a go, though!

It sounds like you may have 3XW 125ps/bhp model so 4 time the power.

These didnt have anti-dive on the forks or any preload, they had a stiffer frame with anti-vib engine mounts and the swingarm is Steel as the earlier models were Aluminium but can be fitted to the 3XW.

If you whack open the throttle the bike go forward at fair rate of knots generally ripping up the tarmac as for popping the front wheel it can be done but is tough to do and you wont do it off the throttle.

Don't be worried about riding it they are very forgiving they look big but it isn't noticeable once on the bike as I said before they are not crotch rockets they do move when asked but are gentle until ragged, there is not really any power band that comes in with a rush just steadily increases right through the rev range.

It sounds like you may have 3XW 125ps/bhp model so 4 time the power.

These didnt have anti-dive on the forks or any preload, they had a stiffer frame with anti-vib engine mounts and the swingarm is Steel as the earlier models were Aluminium but can be fitted to the 3XW.

If you whack open the throttle the bike go forward at fair rate of knots generally ripping up the tarmac as for popping the front wheel it can be done but is tough to do and you wont do it off the throttle.

I'm told it's the 3CV, which my guy discovered when he went to change the childish-sounding shouty exhausts for more sensible ones... Beyond that, I didn't look that closely. This was the first time I'd seen it and only started researching the FJ1200 afterward.

125HP = that's 40hp x 3 (or 3.12, if you use a calculator).

Do the 3CV and 3XW models have ABS?

Bit wary of that too, as I tend to use each brake very independently already. Don't fancy touching the back to drag it online only to find the front also triggers and spits me off...

Okay, no wheelies is good. I'll just worry about missiling into something, heh heh! :)

I'll likely fit wider diameter grips, partly for comfort (I have huge hands) and partly for the arc magnification factor I'm more used to.

Don't be worried about riding it they are very forgiving they look big but it isn't noticeable once on the bike as I said before they are not crotch rockets they do move when asked but are gentle until ragged, there is not really any power band that comes in with a rush just steadily increases right through the rev range.

It doesn't feel big so much (especially with the looooooooong Draggie parked next to it) but it does feel insanely high by comparison. I have flat feet and bent knees, yet the riding position is ON rather than IN the bike.

'Forgiving' is a word I like!

Feeling better about the rev range now. Sounds more like grown-up versions of the new Dullville I once test-rode, rather than the forefather of a Blackbird ballistic missile that contemporary owner-reviews have made it out to be!!

I still can't wait till I get my hands on it for a test ride!! :D

125HP = that's 40hp x 3 (or 3.12, if you use a calculator). Oh yeah god knows what I was thinking.

Do the 3CV and 3XW models have ABS? The 3XW had a special model I dont remember one on the 3CV.

Bit wary of that too, as I tend to use each brake very independently already. Don't fancy touching the back to drag it online only to find the front also triggers and spits me off...

I dont think the ABS system is linked but I could be mistaken.

I prefer the 3CV as its was the most sorted before Yamaha started messing with cheaper suspension.

OK, need to stay away from YouTube!!

Many videos of FJers blasting along, redlining the revs to blast past the 0-60 in 3.8 seconds mark and straight on to 130, popping the front wheel up several times along the way... I dunno what's more scary - The idea that I might accidentally do that myself, or that I'm THAT much of an old man already that 40hp on a tractor of a bike is now my limit for riding!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....

We fettled the carbs, balanced them, replaced the HT cabling, ripped out the Red Hermaphrodite quick-gasket crap and replaced with an OEM, same for air filter, aligned wheel, adjusted chain, rebult forks and all calipers.... errmm.... put some shiny new bolts in place of the rusty ones and did some other fancy mechanicky stuff that I didn't really follow.

So obviously...

<<<------- I BOUGHT THE FJ!!!!!!!!!!

And hey, I'm still a Yamaha Owner, which is pretty damn cool, eh!!

Nice!! :photo2: pictures please...

so I can live vicariously through you. :)

Nice!! :photo2: pictures please...

so I can live vicariously through you. :)

hehe - agree

always liked them, especially the more affordable early models, ie the 1200cc but fuel consumption and weight are off putting although considering their size they are not especially heavy, lighter than the XJ900 for example.

A well set up FJ1200 should be retuning 45+ in touring mode even with a pillion. Managed to get 50+mpg out of a friends 3CV with a stage 1 Dyno jet kit years ago also the valves can really effect fuelling.

I'll get ye some pics tonight.

It's 21 years old with 9 previous owners, so kinda tatty, but still in fine working order. Needs a few cosmetic, maintenance and safety additions (new mirror, Scottoiler, crash bars, etc) but still gorgeous... and the biggest fucking bike in the parking bays at work, heh heh!!!

Fuel consumption and stuff will be the fine fiddling that'll take place after I've had it for a bit and gotten used to it.