Big ends or not big ends????

Noise
This post is 3980 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well folks.

Betty is not well :( she has developed a tappy/knocking sound under load (first start up then only when i accelerate)

I have check all of the external areas of the engine and frame to see if its a loose bolt or a dead rabbit in the warp drive system but nothing so the rattle / tappy/ knocking sound is defiantly internal.

I done an oil + filter + spark plug change yesterday and i have to say it i have been a bit of a twat to old Betty. when i stripped her down i was going to do the oil and filter then but didn't for some reason and when i drained the oil it was jet black and there was only 3/4 of a liter of oil in there, not the 3ish liter that there should be.

So, now that Grouch has Grouched me Betty will be coming off the road in the next two months when her Tax runs out so i can strip the engine to figure out whats gone groucho on me.

So anyone got any ideas what could have gone on? and any thing i should keep and eye out for? like tale tale signs of any thing else that could blow

Many thanks

N

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, sorry to hear of your troubles there.

When you drained the oil out did you go through it to see if there were any foreign bodies in it? If something is drastic they should show up in the drink. Also i know it sounds silly but have you got loads of tools in your hidy hole, as these can make odd noises as they clink together.

Never had it with a bike, but I allowed a wee motor to just about run out of oil, and the big ends went on that. It displayed the same knocking noise you described (although I notice on your other thread that you had difficulty changing gear, while my motor didnt) Hopefully it will be clutch related

Just thinking out loud here now... but our bikes are mostly wet-clutch right? the DT50 clutch used to drag and whine when low on oil, maybe the symptoms could be linked?

Hey guys, tools in my cubby hole are in a bag and dont rattle. With the gears I couldnt get out of 2nd as she dropped so much power she couldnt pull her self in 3rd.

Airhead, I know I neglected her. I didnt put 3/4 in her I just forgot to do an oil change. (fist fuck me later)

No dodgy stuff in the old oil so im hoping thats a good omen.

Well i started stripping the bike down last night and i thought id try to start her and she's having non of it. so while she was on axle stands i thought id see if she would bump start stuck her in 2nd clutch in and started spinning the wheel...................................um nope the wheel did not spin it was like i didn't even have the clutch pulled in???

anyone think this is to do with my problem?

When in Neutral the wheel spins freely, pull clutch kick into gear and will not spin freely

bollocks :( well least it will get me away from the wife for a few nights months

I think it means that NO OIL = NO ENGINE. You will have to look round for a new lump, just sheepishly went and checked my own oil (oop's) thanks Noise!! :jossun:

Well first im gunna strip the engine, im thinking positive thoughts at the mo so i don't have to buy a new lump

HAVE FAITH!!!!!! :D

And im glad i reminded you to check your oil