80's Yamaha DT175MX Chain and Sprocket upgrade

NEEOOW
This post is 3999 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased replacement components for my DT. Included in my shopping was a Chain and Sprocket upgrade off eBay. Included was a 525 chain replacing the standard 428. The Sprockets in the kit purchased were 13/39T. I know this can be done as my bike already runs this configuration, fitted by its previous owner.

I bought new items as the old components have had their fair bite of wear and tear over the years and in my opinion need replacing. I'm in a replacing/ refreshing mood, my next plan is a complete exhaust upgrade.

My question is, if I was to at some point in the future put a lighter 39T Rear Sprocket on to the bike instead of a heavy Steel part. What bike out there has a lighter 39T Rear Sprocket that'll fit straight on my bike?

Am I also right in thinking, a 520, 525 and a 530 chain will all fit on my bike with this new Sprocket set up? I Googled it and one site says, the 5 refers to the Spacing of the Pins whereas the 20/25/30 relates to the chain/roller/link width!

Anyone else done this upgrade or any others on their DT175MX?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online