yamaha xj6s noisey on start up?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3995 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all thanks for your comments' I have or think I have a problem on start up on my Yamaha xj6s 11 plate model bike as when start from cold it seems to be a lot of rattle noise from the engine as not sure if its tappets or some thing else as after a while it seems to go away and calm down but a little worried as only done 7300 mile? thanks again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most engines are noisier when cold than once they've warmed up, coz:

1. The tappets are at maximum gap with cold metal, once the top end warms up the metal expands and gap closes, hence why you set valve clearances with a stone cold engine.

2. Cam chains and tensioners are also cold and need to warm up to operating temps.

3. The oil is all at the bottom of the sump and needs to get round the rest.

If you're really worried, check your valve clearances, also give the carbs a balance as that can cause a bit of rattling as the pistons fight each other, giving the camchain a bit of jerking.

(If you want to hear a proper noisy engine on startup, try a Nissan X-Trail 2.2dCi, like kicking a bag of spanners down a fire escape, but once it's warm all is peaceful ....)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online