XJ600 Top box help!

Aarron
This post is 3974 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone. A quick question I hope. But I have a Yamaha XJ600 pre-diversion and i was looking for a top box but I wasn't sure if I needed to buy a rack before I bought a top box. Or do are there any top boxes which I can buy which will fit right on with adaptors included. I'm sorry if this seems a twattish question but I thought I'd ask the more experienced of you out there.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Aaron, not a daft question if you don't know the answer, how else are you supposed to find out? If you already have a carrier/rack that will fit then most any top box will fit with a usually supplied kit. But if you don't have a rack then that's got to be the first thing you need to look out for, lots of different types out there (groan) but you have to decide what you want to do with it, for instance you may not need it now but will you need panniers at some time in the future? or will you just get by with a single small top box or are you going to use a whopping great 30 litre thing that acts like a sail in the wind? All of these things need to be considered before you even start looking for a top box. I see in your bike list you have a PRE-DIVI XJ600 if that's the bike you want the rack for then good luck on finding an original cos they haven't made then since the 1980s, I waited 2 years before the one I wanted came up on ebay + panniers, there are some universal rear carriers out there on ebay and else where that say they do the job and I haven't tried them so that might be your best bet if you want something quick and dirty. Other wise your going to have to be patient and visit a lot of bike fairs and there they all know how rare these things are so expect to pay through the nose for anything you find. Not being negative about your problem but it's not easy owning an older bike. Good luck with your search, I did buy a rack for another bike (Honda) some years ago and cut it in 2 and made it fit by extending the rear bars but that was desperation taking hold. :jossun:

• Like 1

If you already have a rack you can buy a box that has a matching plate. The plate fits onto the rack and you can lock and unlock the box to remove it off the bike easily. Look at Kappa monokey boxes.

• 5 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online