fibreglass or aluminium fuel tanks?

wild foamy
This post is 4134 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps

Been drawing up some sketches for project FUCR, the tank that is on it now is fuck ugly and will be going, but inkeeping with the cafe racer them i want to find a smaller (but still large enough for good range) fuel tank, and due to the XZs' design of having the airbox and carbs underneath the tank it would need to have a fairly wide tunnel underneath, since my options for used tanks are limited im wanting to fabricate one.

however im not sure wether it would be more beneficial to use aluminium or fibreglass, will most likely be using large blocks of florist foam as templates so actually forming either shouldnt be a problem, only problems i can foresee are sealing them and finding a durable/reliable way of mounting the fibreglass tank :/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fibre glass it mate. Least it's easy to work with and cheaper to buy than ally so if you do fuck up you wont be forking out too much

Dont want to dent your enthusiasm steve but i believe plastic/fibre glass tanks are not MOTable

Has to be Ali cos it looks better and will never leak, better to in that the new fuel we are now getting has that horrible ethanol crap in it and some fibre glass is supposed to react to this stuff by melting! not sure about that but even the thought of 3 gallons of petrol running down my crutch is enough to make my ball's shrivel :biglaugha::biglaugha:

Y not steel?

guy on ebay made my tracker tank for £60

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online