SR 125 Indicators and Bolts

malgrimace
This post is 4120 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. I'm new to bikes and I picked up a 1991 SR 125 in a sorry state. I'm in the process of getting her cleaned up for the MOT and such.

I've come across a couple of issues so far, with bolts and the indicators. Please bear with me as I'm still getting the hang of the component names and such.

First, the screws on the oil filter cover - one of them is chewed to heck and needs replacing due to the head basically being a nice neat hole rather than a philips head. What size is needed to replace this?

Secondly, the indicators don't flash when turned on, they just stay solid. I read it might be down to connections so I cleaned up all the connections and it didn't help. They appear to be aftermarket indicators with tiny little bulbs in them and I was thinking about just replacing them with LED indicators. As I'm going to be replacing the flasher relay, would I need a special flasher relay for LED bulbs?

Also, the last thing is where the exhaust meets the engine (are these called the drop pipe to cylinder head?) - it hasn't been secured properly and it's blowing. On closer inspection, the bottom bolt is sheared off so needs replacing. The top bolt is half secured, with the plate around the exhaust pipe flapping off. I can't see to be able to get a tool in to remove the top bolt due to the proximity of the frame, but I'm sure I'll sort that out. I'm going to replace both of the bolts and I read in the service manual that they're M6 bolts, but what length are they?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Malgrimace. You might find it beneficial to post an intro in the new member section. It's considered polite to let the folks know a little bit about you and your bike(s) before asking for help.

As far as the indicators staying on, mine did that when my battery was flat. How's your battery? I don't have any advice about the LED bulbs though. Once you get the top exhaust bolt out, you should be able to measure the length. ??

Mervin your a star mate, just what I needed, I can now buy the right nut bolt washer without having to chop the end off or drill bigger holes. TKS :jossun:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mervin. The supply of the bolts isn't an issue, it's the length I was contemplating.

At the moment it's got hex-bolts just whacked in there, rather than the alley types. Another surprise from the last owner, who really left the bike in a sorry state. I'm going to end up drilling out the old bolts cause there's no space to work between the bolt and the frame and it's pretty obvious they're just whacked in in a shitty attempt to keep the exhaust on the bike! I have a feeling I'll end up boring them out and fitting helicoils to make up for the botch job.

IMG_20130604_192551.jpg

When I get the old bolts out, what length am I putting in their place?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online