1980 Yamaha mx 100 dual purpose conversion.

This post is 3935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to make my old mx 100 street legal. So far I've made it so it can get up to speed by installing boyesen power reeds and a performance filter. I do need to get a larger jet for it soon as it is running to lean so it's parked for now. I've been looking to get and install a speedometer and a tachometer, but I do not know how to install those. Please help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your front wheel.may not have a speedo drive in the front hub. Thats gonna be a pain.if it ain't. And the tachometer is usually driven from the primary gear via a plastic worm gear. You will need a front brake plate from a dt100 and a tachometer drive from the same. You may be better off getting a digital speedo that is magnet driven

Ok so I did find one. It's digital and it has a built in tach for 2 strokes. It says for disk brake application? Is that just another way of saying magnet type? Do I really have to have a disk brake?

Before you bother putting any $$$ into this go to or call the ministerty of transportation and see if the vin can be regestered for the street ,if your in ontario 99.9% chance you can't.A 1980 mx 100 would have been designated off road use only and once its labled off road your SOL for puting it on the street.

To answer your question about the speedo drive no you don'thave to have a disc brakebut the magnet will have to be positioned in the same relationship to the pick up as it would fit to a disc.Getting a speedo from a bicycle shop would be the easier way to install a speedo on your bike as the magnet fits to the rim and the speedo is then calibrated for the rim size.

• 1 month later...

so in alberta it can be insured as long as it passes inspection. I would like to get some new rims for it. on ebay i can only find ones that fit 74-75 but the look the same and have the same amount of spokes and the rim size is not included of course. Is there any real difference between the 1975 and the 1980? if its different is there any where i can buy a rim? and what is it like to respoke?

and also the speedo is a 12 volt which poses a problem on my 6 volt bike. but cant the generator put out more voltage? i think if i just get a small small small small 12v battery with one of those voltage regulators i could pull of having a 12 volt speedo correct? and the larger main jet kit is on its way.

so fitting a 6v bulb in the spedo won't work because?

Spoke holes have to.be drilled at the right.angle.so that the spokes arent fractionally.bent at the rim end.

Imagine a really big.hub with small spokes, and a small hub with long spokes.

Ok I found some and it fits vintage Suzuki Yamaha and Kawasaki. Sounds about right. The only dual purpose tire that fits the bike is by shinko. Does any one have any experience with those tires? Or are there more dual purpose that I don't know about? Where would I get those tires? Or do I just order off the internet

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online