clutch setup

ahaywood93
This post is 4143 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

been and got my forks from the shop and asked ab out the clutch and was told theres not really a way to do it they just go in going to put it together n ow and should have a fully working bike by tomorrow :)

Whenever i have done clutches the metal plates normaly have some sort of cut away.

These are spaced at 120 deg intervals to balance it. The friction plates go in as you feel with the cushion rings inbetween.

Simple but not thrown on. Any pictures...

The book says:

Install the friction plate onto the clutch boss

Install the clutch plate so as to locate the projection at number 1 (this is at 12 o'clock)

Install the friction plate with the larger inside diameter onto the clutch plate

Next install the remaining clutch plates and friction plates alternately on the clutch boss

Be sure to install a clutch plate projection offset at approximately 60 degrees from the previous one.

So with the clutch plates. the first one the projection is at 12 o/c, the next clutch plate will have the largest projection at 2 o/c, then 4 o/c then 6 o/c etc.

The different friction plate is the second one in.

ive never setup a bike clutch before i was just wondering on how the plates go?

Have you got a Haynes Manual? It's worth it's weight in gold if you are doing this sort of thing, it will give you step by step instructions (usually with photos)

I thoroughly recommend it.

I have the PDF on my iphone but the plates ive got have no markings and all are pretty much the same shape with no 'cut offs' its the ebc dirt racers clutch kit, spoke to my local shop and he said these type of plates just go in as they hardly cause unbalance no matter how there set up

ahay there are some good vids on youtube, maybe not for your bike, but will give you some idea,

if there's anything i'm not sure about I always check youtube first, you'll have to sieve through the shite first mind

I have the PDF on my iphone but the plates ive got have no markings and all are pretty much the same shape with no 'cut offs' its the ebc dirt racers clutch kit, spoke to my local shop and he said these type of plates just go in as they hardly cause unbalance no matter how there set up

Ahh thats why then. Dirt racers are not going to worry about vibes or bearing life they just want it to grip like a banker to his bonus.

Bang it on and see how it goes.

Carefull. Just smooth it down taking any high spots off with some 1200 wet and dry. (Use wd instead of water). You will get some nasty slack otherwise. Couple of mm multiplied up through the gearbox would be unpleasant.

Plus you need the plate clearance the same all round otherwise you will have a notch form making things worse.

If you have a few deep notches in the fingers of the clutch basket, then it's showing signs of wear, you may also need to check the cog at the rear of the basket, grab the basket firmly, then try and twist the cog at the rear, if you get more than 3mm play when trying to twist the cog, you may need to replace the basket

It's only tiny ones not really indented just going to do it to prolong its life and alreaddy tested the play its pretty stiff for the age not 3mm anyway ill grab some sand paper today

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online