Fuel tank sealant

mike1949
This post is 4149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

About a year ago my fuel tank sprung some leaks.

IMGP0803.jpg

since then I bought a new tank off e,bay for a fraction of the price, but I have repaired the original tank externally.

IMGP0800.jpg

What i am trying to do now is internally seal the original tank. I seem to have two options, either POR 15. or Kreem. This is where I need advice, which one?

When I do get the right one, how do I apply it, just pour it in and swirl it about?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never used these Mike but I suppose it tells you how to use it on the tin! I think you must be right about pouring it in and swirling it about as unless you have a very strange paint brush there is no other way I can think of it working, I wonder if it should just coat the bottom half of the tank as that is usually where the holes appear? Someone will know on here, be nice to find out myself what you have to do. :jossun:

mike Iv'e seen some video on youtube showing how to do it, as I remember you make plastic template to cover fuel tap & bolt it on using the bolts from fuel tap,plug up any other hole's like breather pipe, mix sealant with hardener, poor in & swirl it round make sure the sealant you use is ethanol resistant

Cheers all, I really do appreciate the input. Will look into depth Cynic's link.

I used kreem about 2 years ago to seal a friends tl1000s tank,very easy to use.

1 clean all old rust out ,1 lb of drywall screws in the tank and shaken on a bbq rotisery for 2 hrs worked great

2 water rinse,dry and wash out with the provided acid wash

3 mix sealer and hardner and coat inside of tank by rotating,working time was quite long 1/2 hr or more so it was easy to get the whole tank sealed.The stuff is quite thick and not runny.

I only blocked off the petcok hole with a piece of gaffer tape,2 old bolts to fill the thread holes and removed them before the sealer fully hardened.Job done for 60 the shops wanted 200.Had enough left over to seal a small dirt bike size tank about 1/3 of the kit

Ps I only sealed to the top underside of the filler neck leaving the cap sealing area uncoated

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online