NEW XJ900F BASKET CASE

This post is 4147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I recently aquired an XJ900F, 1990, 'basket case'.

An old boy had it for years, fell off it and threw it in the corner of his shed, 4 yrs later its in mine!

New battery, cleaned carbs/tank, bit of redex and it's running, even ticking over. Have welded the frame where it needed it, 'hammerite'd' most it, (frame), and cleaned up the shiny bits.

Electrics were a mare, found the 2 auxilary wires had broken inside the ignition switch! All now fixed and everything works.

Last thing is the brakes..................all pistons seized badly. Doubt a seal kit would do it, so my questioon is, does anyone know if the calipers from a later diversion would fit?

Love to get it all ticketed up and ready to ride before our summer arrives, if we get one!

Cheers all

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome mark" :jossun: should get calipers fo it on fleabay,,,,, failing that other models will fit ,, might need to make adaptor plates

:welcome: aboard Mark!

I have heard that the seized calipers can often be removed by pumping grease into them....never done it myself though but to me it sounds like a good way to do it. You'd have to determine what thread the bleed nipples are and fit a grease nipple with the same thread.

Greetings :welcome:

Thanks all. I had already managed to get them moving, using the brake hydraulics, then a metal bar and g clamps to get them back in. Did that a few times after they had been soaked in plusgas for a day or so, but still incredibly stiff....So, either refurb, which is expensive, or secondhand calipers......

Have been told the FJ1100/ealy 1200 will fit?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online