RD350 N1 Crankshaft

rickster1971
This post is 4155 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I've recently bought a very tired '86 RD350 N1 with a view to restoring it. The engine didn't turn over so I've started with that first. I've stripped the engine to find that the crankshaft has a rusty big end.

20130508_102126_zps07439146.jpg

I've spoken to a few engineering firms in the UK and they have given me quotes of between £300 - £390 to rebuild it. The thing is, I found new cranks for sale at Yambits for the same money. Does anyone have any experience with Yambits cranks, are they OK? Apparently they are brand new, not reconditioned, but the price just seems to good (or the rebuild prices are too high :eusa_shifty: ).

Thanks.

_________

http://rd350nrebuild.wordpress.com/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bloody hell did they drive it to the Channel Islands? Looks like it was run underwater. That Yamabits crank looks ok and seemed to have all the parts that you need, give it a try the worst that can happen is you have to do it again!

P.S might be an idea to do a PROPER INTRO rickster in the "new members" section, welcome to the YOC. :jossun:

Bloody hell did they drive it to the Channel Islands? Looks like it was run underwater. That Yamabits crank looks ok and seemed to have all the parts that you need, give it a try the worst that can happen is you have to do it again!

P.S might be an idea to do a PROPER INTRO rickster in the "new members" section, welcome to the YOC. :jossun:

:-) you could be right, it could have been underwater. I think though the barrel gasket gave up and coolant dripped down onto the bearing. The bike hasn't run for years so it's had plenty of time to fester. The left-hand side of the crank is perfect.

I'll probably go with the Yambits crank, the rest of the engine looks good so it will be worth it.

I'll nip into the "new members" section and introduce myself. Thanks guys for your replies.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online