Yamaha XT125x problems

Agibson3hr2
This post is 4069 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, new poster here. I've been having some problems with my Yamaha XT125x. It is a 2009 and it has an arrow exhaust system.

I've found recently that the bike will not idle/tick over very well at all, I'll put the choke on for a bit and leave the bike to warm up but when I come back and turn the choke off, the bike will slowly deteriorate down to about 1000rpm, and then to 800 and it will die on me. It even happens sometimes after I have been riding for a little while for example. If I get stuck at traffic lights, the bike will sometimes just die on me.

The other issue I've been having recently is that when I'm riding along, I will change from 1st to 2nd, ride for about 20 seconds or so and the bike will suddenly slip back into neutral again. It has started happening more frequently and is becoming a bit of a worry to me now.

If anyone can help with these issues I would be grateful.

Thanks, Aaron.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, to get a response you will need to post an intro about yourself in the intro section. By doing this people will answer your questions. We have a lot of XT 125 X/R owners on here, including myself. Sounds like your battery is knackered that's why your bike isn't idling.

Hi, to get a response you will need to post an intro about yourself in the intro section. By doing this people will answer your questions. We have a lot of XT 125 X/R owners on here, including myself. Sounds like your battery is knackered that's why your bike isn't idling.

It's not my battery, had a fresh one about 2 months ago :\

EDIT: It's been doing this since before the battery change and still is after.

When was it last serviced and sounds like your gearbox is knackered. Can you hold the bike in gear if you keep pressure on the gear lever?

When was it last serviced and sounds like your gearbox is knackered. Can you hold the bike in gear if you keep pressure on the gear lever?

Do you mean keep the bike in 2nd if I keep holding the gear lever up after I've changed?

EDIT: Last service was around 4 months ago I believe. Roughly around that time anyway.

Yep. It it stays in gear then the gearbox needs to be fixed. Some people get used to riding like this.

As for it dying, it could just need a service and the carb idle turning up a little. More info needed.

I am going to move this to the workshop area as it is a workshop topic.

Yep. It it stays in gear then the gearbox needs to be fixed. Some people get used to riding like this.

As for it dying, it could just need a service and the carb idle turning up a little. More info needed.

I am going to move this to the workshop area as it is a workshop topic.

Okay thanks, so if I go to change into 2nd, and after i've changed keep the gear lever up instead of putting it down then it should go into 3rd?

You may have to feather or hold it up with your foot. A little trial and error. Just make sure it is safe. In an ideal world you open the gearbox and change the worn selectors or cogs with missing teeth. The Thundercat, for example, is know for this issue.

You may have to feather or hold it up with your foot. A little trial and error. Just make sure it is safe. In an ideal world you open the gearbox and change the worn selectors or cogs with missing teeth. The Thundercat, for example, is know for this issue.

Okay thanks, do you know of anywhere to get a good guide on a self service on my bike? I'd like to know how to fix any problems I had with my bike myself.

Best idea to to get hold of an original service manual. If you search on the web you will come across one that you can download. Due to copyright laws we can't post links on the site but I know for sure that they are out there. Much more detailed than a Haynes type one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online