hello im a new 66 year old member

This post is 4012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im from south ayrshire and i have just got a dt125 my problem is from the loest part of the seat to the ground is 36 and a half inches i am 15 st 4 lbs and when i sit on the bike im about 4 inches short of the floor can i lower the front forks a bit and the rear suspension abit ? how do i go about it. its a dirt bike. thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum Dougie.

I moved your post to the right section so it could be better seen.

Greetings dougie :welcome:

yeah I'm thinking that maybe the rear suspension 'dogbones' can be changed and the front fork yokes dropped down the legs an inch or so?

They are tall ....., I had one and it was pretty much a tiptoe job when stationary...didnt bother me though

JUST HAD A LOOK AT THE DOGBONES AND THINK ILL JUST GO WITH PUTTING LONGER ONES IN THE CENTER OF THE HOLES IS 4 INCHES I THINK I WILL TRY 5 AND A HALF " AND JUST LEAVE THE FRONT FORKS AS THEY ARE WHAT DO YOU THINK, I COULD MAKE THEM OUT OF A BIT OF PLATE. THANKS FOR THE PROMT REPLY CHEERS

Welcome to the YOC Dougie, another old fart, I don't feel so lonely now! :jossun:

Hi Mate, you've only got a few years on me but Im still in 'old fart' denial lol

Good luck with your mods but you must have some ol' Stack heels around from back in the day ??

Just a thought :eusa_whistle:

Welcome dougie " :wavey: nowt wrong wi the DT,,,its your a west coast short ass,, :spin2: ... Its Lanark show this weekend ,,, i"l be there on the best day"s weather-wise .. :jossun:

thanks for the help looked at the bike this morning and lowering the forks seems a good option and i might try skimming a bit of foam of the seat. or will get new dogbones made as the ones on sale are expensiveand only adjust 15mm to 22mm great advice from forum members very much appreciate all your input ,will invest in a hayns manual. i is have been told my bike is a dt 1998 it is an offroad bike no battery and kickstart only i think the cluch might need renewing and i would like an elctrick start and maybee a rebore and piston , there is an engine on ebay done 6000 miles with electrick start it would this fit my bike is this a better alternative ,what do you think. thanks again for all your help cheers.

Post up a question in workshop doug, thers a lot of DT fans here, as these newbe posts get buried fast, and only the diehards do the welcoming,, :yeah:

LOOKED CLOSLY AT THE BIKE CAN ONLY DROP THE FORKS 3/4 OF AN INCH AS HANDELBARS WILL PREVENT GOING ANY FURTHER SO WILL HAVE TO GET LONGER DOGBONES MADE. ANY BODY KNOW THE DIAMETER OF THE HOLES IN THEM AS IT WILL SAVE ME STRIPING DOWN TO HAVE THEM MADE? IWLL TRY 1/4 " STAINLESS PLATE,THANK AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP PROFESSIONAL.

Hi Dougie your best soloution is to do all of the mentioned lower the front and rear as well as shave the seat.

Keep in mind that the steering geomerty will be affected so you need to lower the front and rear equaly or end up with a ill handeling bike.

you can also cut the length of the springs to lower the front more but you loose travel and if the spring is progressivly wound then you loose some softness or firmness depending on wich end you cut.4 inches is alot of lowering

Sorry cant help with bole size but just take the nut off and measure the bolt you dont have to take it all appart

AFTER ABIT OF TRIAL AND ERROR I SETTLED ON DOGBONES MADE FROM PLATE WITH 5" CENTRES THIS DROPED THE HEIGHT EXACTLY 4" FROM 36&A1/2" TO32&A1/2" THE OLD ONES HAD 4" CENTRES SO THE FORMULA SEEMS TO BE 1/4" FOR EVERY 1"TO BE DROPPED HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEBODY ELSE I HAVE STILL TO DROP THE YOKES BUT CAN ONLY GO 3/4" AS THEY WILL TOUCH THE HANDLEBARS WHEN I SEE THE EFFECT OF THIS I MIGHT HAVE TO READJUST ON THE DOGBONES TO RAISE IT UP AN 1" THERFORE NEW ONES AT 4&3/4" CENTRES , BUT IT IS WORK IN PROGRESS GREAT TO GET BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND,WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON AND ADD SOME PICS WHEN I AM FINISHED.THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online