Hello, I'm a Newbie From Brighton

This post is 4027 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there,

I'm Simon and I started a project bike, a DT250MX around a year ago. I was given the bike for free by a guy who's house I was working on. His wife was fed up with it leaning against the shed for the previous 4 years! I had it covered in my garden for a year before I dismantled it and put it in my loft to keep it dry and to stop the rot.

I took it out of the loft about a year ago after I built myself a workshop (out of mainly recycled materials). Firstly I sanded the frame down and re-sprayed it with my friends spray equipment. I found out that I had been given some duff information about the primer when the paint started chipping off whenever a spanner went near the frame! All the hard work was in vain, but I found a local shot-blasting and powder coating company that did the whole frame for just £80 - in hindsight I wish I'd have done that in the first place!

I've just been tinkering now - the wheels are on, with new tyres and brakes, new headset bearings and recently a new speedo which I bought on e-bay which doesn't quite match the rev counter (I think it may be from an RD!). I've been cleaning up parts and painting them with hammerite and even de-rusting bolts and washers on the wire wool part of my grinding wheel.

I would like to share some of the experience with anyone else who is doing or has done a similiar project to this. Here are a few before and now pics:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do you actually have a dirty DT?

Not at the moment. I have a SV650, TS250 and a YA-6

DT's are a big favorite on the site for us 2 stroke lovers

If you fancy it, start a project thread. This section can be found at the bottom of the home page. Click "forums" and scroll down to the bottom.

:welcome: aboard Simon! Looks like you're doing her up nicely.

Hey Simon, welcome to the forum! Definitely start up a project thread for us. :spin2:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online