DT in distress part 3!

wild foamy
This post is 3443 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The DVLA have been kind enough to release the V5C to me! :)

turns out my new donkey is on an F-reg! and has been off the road since 1998!

Got my log book today for the DT250MX,,,,,DVLA rock,,,, :headbang:

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah ive thought about drilling a hole through the shaft but for the price of a shaft (which is easy enough to slide out) i may aswell do it properly :)

Got my log book today for the DT250MX,,,,,DVLA rock,,,, :headbang:

oh they're still money grabbing bastards, but atleast im getting something to show for it! :D

Yeah ive thought about drilling a hole through the shaft but for the price of a shaft (which is easy enough to slide out) i may aswell do it properly :)

But have you been able to check all the gears to make sure they all work properly before spliting it appart to change the shaft?

Yeah i used a set of mole grips (locking pliers you may call them in canada?) to use as a make-shift lever for my test ride, all checked out fine, but dissapointingly it doesnt 'feel' like my old one used to, maybe its because i had some imitation renthal bars originally.

Clutch case off, clutch basket assembly off, gear change lever off and then just slide it through the cases IIRC :)

oh, and look what i got (for '82 project FUCR and the '88 DT respectively)

retrodiscs_zps6442781b.jpg

icing on the cake :)

Are they replica discs ,,,, it will be legal to display one after October,,, :jossun:

found them on google, but the 1982 one had a watermark on it which i had to photoshop out then printed them both on some photo paper using a standard inkjet printer.

There's a US company that sells them (LINKY) for $14.99, but im too tight to shell out that kind of cash for a piece of paper

Can also buy the .jpg templates from eBay, but you still have to print them off yourself.

We just call em "vise grips" as they are the best ones brand wise and most have them.

Whats the big deal about the tax discs? do they add value to a bike somehow?

No Air you don't have to split the main case but you have to pull the clutch basket so I thought best he check the rest of the tranny in actual use..no need to pull stuff appart 2x.

clutch works perfectly tbh, i may treat it to a fresh set of friction plates and springs whilst its off though.

As for the tax disc i doubt it adds any value to the bike at all, but seeing as the bike was made in 1988 and i want it to look as close to brand new as practical its a nice finishing touch that makes it look as though its in its first year of tax :)

currently its illegal to display an out of date tax disc, but after October the government is getting rid of the tax disc and doing it all online to screw more money out of us so tax discs will no longer be required, which means i can show whatever the heck i want on the side of my bike :)

• 8 months later...

Time for a photo then Foams and a price, haven't had a good laugh in ages :biglaugha:

• 4 months later...

She looks nice mate you must be well chuffed. Lots of work in that one, if you don't get at least a mention in their paper then I don't know what will?