Project mong

wild foamy
This post is 4136 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well peeps, i picked up my SR125 last night (went via swansea to pick up a DT50 aswell) and managed to get down to the workshop today after work and get the run-down on my new project

The back wheel was ceised, i ended up taking it off, prising the hub off and using a hydraulic press to get the little cam out of the hub that spreads the pads onto the drum.

electrics are a problem aswell, there are 3 white cables coming off the engine and should be paired up to the rectifier but they arent, they just cut the cables right after the plug rather than unplug it.

also the battery earth cable has been cut off, the starter solenoid was rolling around underneath the airbox with the feed cables cut (again, right before the plug, why dont people just unplug things??)

also probably my biggest problem, the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position so i couldnt even turn the engine over in gear to see if it was ceised, and the clutch arm goes right down through the case behind the front sprocket so it looks like its a split-case jobby unless i can find another access panel to remove.

needs a front mudguard aswell, the one thats on it is fucked

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

after 6 hours of head scratching and heavy grunting, IT RUNS! :hyper:

Unplugged the ignition barrel (its only two wires, so i shorted them at the plug with a length of cable i had kicking around)

Ended up taking the carb off and stripping it, blowing it through with a can of WD40... cleaning the jets out as everything was ceised solid.

THEN i couldnt get into the fuel tank so i made an auxilary one out of a mountain dew bottle somebody had left in the bin.

had to mount the battery externally as the cables had been cut short by previous owner

couldnt get the starter to engage from the switch on the bars, so had to take the switchgear apart for cleaning e.t.c

EVENTUALLY... after a few stabs of the starter button it let out a few little coughs before settling down into a smooth (albeit a little high) idle

its kinda growing on me, i like it :3

DSC_00711_zps0072a654.jpg

DSC_00701_zpse922a817.jpg

Also, was reading through the (limited) paperwork i was given with the bike, the V5 says the previous owner acquired it in 2000, i have a couple of old MOTS covering it up until 2013, so it may have been sat for around 10 years before i bought it.

an evenings work and i already have it running, my next trick will be to get that engine out, strip the cases and find out whats going on with that clutch...

Also managed to get a key cut over the phone to the number on the barrel, should be here in the next couple of days :)

only problems i have now are the clutch and the shattered front mudguard

Clutch is sorted, it seems that the quadrant itself wasnt the problem, it was the cable that was fucked!, ordered a new one but other than that its all good, managed to get it riding up and down the road a few times too

• Like 1

Yeah, that one :)

new mudguard is on its way as is the high temp paint for the engine, should be on ebay by next weekend :)

Everything is being polished now!, engine cases and pretty much everything else were covered in some shitty horrible hammerite spray, managed to get that off and scrubbed up until i could see my ugly mug in them!, the rear wheel came up almost perfectly with a bit of elbow grease, front wheel needs a bit more doing to it but hopefully i can get it back to a presentable state, fitted some new indicators to the rear, stripped all the switchgear and cleaned them so now everything works as it should, changed the oil, just got the new front mudguard and clutch cable to go on, my new keys should be here by saturday aswell so i can put the clocks back together :D, also got some new tyres to go on it

Total list of parts is currently:

Battery

Mudguard

Clutch Cable

Indicators (x2)

Front and rear tyres

New keys

Not bad for what was a plant-pot, will get some pics tomorrow, its looking really really nice now, all shiny and stuff, makes me happy when i look at how it was before and how it is now :), i sorta lost interest in bikes after my XJ650 restoration ground to a halt but after doing a couple of little ones like this and the DT50(s) im really starting to enjoy it again :)

Latest pics :D

DSC_0076_zps8885535f.jpg

DSC_00771_zps816a070c.jpg

DSC_0074_zps0f3b371f.jpg

Just gotta polish that engine up now, im tempted to leave it as it is and not spray paint it as it looks pretty when its all buffed up :)

its actually looking quite smart.

your getting good at this now foams.

Well im off out on the piss in leicester tonight, lets see if i manage to buy anything else lol.

i may even drag the XJ turbo out of the shed and get it going again

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest pics peeps, have also bought a used front wheel with good chrome to replace the crappy chrome that was on the old one, looks real sweet now :)

DSC_0094_zps2e47bc9c.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsec0b26a8.jpg

DSC_0093_zps4c03fab5.jpg

DSC_0092_zps06e7ae19.jpg

Only 3 days left on auction, bid high peeps! :D

always best to upload on a Thursday around 6pm for 10 days. that way it ends Sunday and you get 2 weekends in

Yeah in hindsight i should have planned it a bit better, still ive lost out on £50... thinking of all the more enjoyable things i could have got for £50, like a few pints and a cheap lady... ah well, should probably stick to breaking bikes

could have been worse. this was an ad for an SS50

honda ss 50 never been messd with at all 2 keepers from new ever fink work in it just needs a batery to so the horne will work and flashers these bikes dunt need a bat to start so if eney one sez thay do thay dunt no eney fink a bout em at all ave ad these bikes wen i was 16 years old so i no a lot a bout em the start up ever kick gear box top job no smoke at all its a fit one not like me lol log book in my name sorry ave ad the seat coverd cos i was guner do it up but now am doing a gp 100 bit fasterd the peds work ave tryd them and i start the bike every 3 week and it start 1std time well wat can i say its a honda ring me if u need to no enet fink ells and sorry a bout my speling i no its bad i never wen to school lol thanks 4 look in at my super ss 50

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online