Sat Nav recommendations?

cupcake1973
This post is 4158 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm looking to put a sat nav on my bars ready for the summer and some nice riding days out. Anyone got any recommendations? Will want European maps included too.

I've been looking at the dedicated motorbike ones and they're a bit out of my budget. Would an ordinary car sat nav be ok? Or would vibration and sun/outdoor conditions ruin it?

Also, can you get the bar mounting brackets for the non-bike specific ones? I know I can get a waterproof cover thingy and universal charging socket for bikes off ebay.

Been searching the actual units and seem to be going round in circles trying to figure it out :eusa_think:

Any thoughts/recommendations would be a big help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Cupcake, personally i don't do sat navs, had a bad experience with on once and now reverted back to a good old map and asking the village twit when i got lost.

I doubt the vibration will effect a non bike nav as ive seen some work in cars that seam to have no suspension (normally with a guy wearing a burbury hat) its just the case if they are water proof and again i doubt the sun will effect them.

You might have to get a bracket fabricated up or modify a stock one to incorporate a hook or clamp to go into your bars.

this is why maps are so great. there free off of google maps and fit in a set of combat 95 pants a treat!

I use an old tomtom1. Positively steam powerd by todays stds but works well enough and if it breaks, dies or gets nicked no loss.

Only works with 'mains' power but the bike is man enough. Just modified the bracket to clamp the bars.

They are 10 a penny on ebay.

I am still a big fan of the maps or just using plain logic to find the way. Navigated 1800 miles around France last year with just that. The only time we (husband) used sat nav, we got lost! :eusa_doh:

Just think sometimes it would be a handy gadget to have for longer journeys where we'd like to avoid motorways and don't really know the area. Might do go down the route of getting a slightly older model for not too much off ebay and just update the maps.

Thanks chaps :D

Oh yes. Maps rule. I just use the sat nav as a reminder. As a hgv driver i am well aware of their limitations.

Maps are still king for me. The latest phillips truck atlas is superb.

I can't answer this from experience, but a couple of things that may help you out:

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk - I believe you get a RAM mount if you do happen to buy a motorbike sat nav (either TomTom or Garmin if I'm not mistaken). Take a look at their website, they create mounts for plenty of other things, so potentially could cater for a car sat nav.

I read an article from Globe Busters a while back (http://www.globebusters.com) who recommend Garmin sat nav, It could be because it caters for off-road excursions a little better I don't know, but thought it worthwhile mentioning.

I am with Bippo and Cynic on this.

You can go the full spectrum from bike designed to free maps on your phone.

I use a newish Tomtom on a Ram mount so it is easy to remove for security and to change bikes. Once most satnavs are over a year old, the maps are too expensive to update and it is better value to get a new satnav (I know that some deals have lifetime maps - my Garmin does).

1 inch ram mounts and a tomtom cradle set up on the SV

trip2.jpg

The Ram mounts are expensive but just take them off when you sell the bike.

Please check the French law. I think it is now illegal to have a satnav with traffic cameras in France. Even if it is turned off. More kerching from us British.

ram mounting system is best but can be pricey, try amazon for cheaper alternatives you can read customer reviews on there, then compare price on ebay, also tom tom & garmin are best but expensive, I use a binatone from argos, does a good job for me as i also use it for work and has bluetooth so you can have an ear piece in helmet, saver than looking at screen

Would an ordinary car sat nav be ok?

I'v been thinking about this myself, but you will need one with earphones.

No you dont. The verbal ins are shocking. And normally too late.

No sound needed just pics. Mount it sensibly in the centre. Covering the spedo works well cos the sat nav will tell your speed and your fine. Looking at the sat nav is not unnatural then either.

• Like 1

Sat Navs have there uses I have had them since the early days of steam and wouldn't be without one but doing it by map is far more fun. My Zumo is getting on now but still gets me there. They have other uses like finding a petrol, food etc also if staying at a B&B in the back of no where you can set it so when you've been out for the day you hit the button it routes you back. I've been all over Europe with and without them and when on a long trip they are well worth it.

Car ones sometimes don't have batteries so have to be powered all the time also the Vibration & Rain can kill them.

Lastly the smartphone ones are quite good these days

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - given me an idea of which route (pun intended) I'll probably go down. Will have a look at the ram mount with either tomtom or garmin I think. They have batteries and you can get chargers for them for the bike (and waterproof case if needed)

I have google navigation on my smartphone, which is just about adequate in the car, but it's just not suitable for the bike. I'm not paying for a navigation app for the phone (which I won't be keeping longer than 6 months anyway) when I can spent a bit more and get a dedicated sat nav device

:thumb:

Mike- mine is a car tomtom. I don't use earphones, just set volume off and on to 2D mode. I use an couple of optimate kits to power it. TM68 and TM71 I think. This also give the flexibility to charge your phone etc if you take the appliance leads. If you have an optimate you can also easily trickle charge the battery in the bike. Simples.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - given me an idea of which route (pun intended) I'll probably go down. Will have a look at the ram mount with either tomtom or garmin I think. They have batteries and you can get chargers for them for the bike (and waterproof case if needed)

I have google navigation on my smartphone, which is just about adequate in the car, but it's just not suitable for the bike. I'm not paying for a navigation app for the phone (which I won't be keeping longer than 6 months anyway) when I can spent a bit more and get a dedicated sat nav device

:thumb:

The Nav app is generally installed with the phone from new so no need to buy what phone you got?

I used a TomTom1 on the bike in a waterproof case. Worked ok though at certain times the sunlight would reflect off the plastic cover making it difficult to see. The solution, a visor made from a Coca-Cola box held on with an elastic band.

It is illegal to use satnavs in France that show where speed cameras are, although all manufacturers released an update to disable this feature (I think it warns you of speed camera zones instead?).

One last thing, I've been hearing on other forums you have to stick reflective stickers onto your helmet in France otherwise you get find - worth a google?

If you use a satnav on your phone, don't forget to get a data roaming package otherwise it might cost you more than a bike specific satnav due to data charges.

I used a TomTom1 on the bike in a waterproof case. Worked ok though at certain times the sunlight would reflect off the plastic cover making it difficult to see. The solution, a visor made from a Coca-Cola box held on with an elastic band.

It is illegal to use satnavs in France that show where speed cameras are, although all manufacturers released an update to disable this feature (I think it warns you of speed camera zones instead?).

One last thing, I've been hearing on other forums you have to stick reflective stickers onto your helmet in France otherwise you get find - worth a google?

If you use a satnav on your phone, don't forget to get a data roaming package otherwise it might cost you more than a bike specific satnav due to data charges.

Yep in france it is a requirement. New sharks (french company)come with eu compatable stickers if your lid is non reflective.

Most Android Phones work via a dedicated GPS receiver not the GPRS phones system so no cost.

The sticker thing is right however, helmets have been supplied with a sticker kit or already fitted for quite a while now isn't there suppose to be 4?

The Nav app is generally installed with the phone from new so no need to buy what phone you got?

I've got an Android phone with Google Navigation pre-loaded. Like I said, it's adequate for the car but no good for what I want on the bike. Routing options and display options are far too limited to start with. Not paying extra for a dedicated navigation app when I can spend a bit more on "proper" sat nav.

I had co-pilot on my iphone, which I paid for and that was pretty rubbish too. I navigated myself and husband all the way around France just using road signs and a few paper directions, then the one time we actually used the co-pilot (to get around the Lyon Peripherique) it took us on a magical mystery tour in circles through the middle of the city in rush hour. Utterly useless! Turned it off and within 5 minutes we were back on route again. Never used the co-pilot ever again after that, despite us both having iphones for a while afterwards.

Plus I've noticed that while google nav runs from GPS signal, the maps load via the data network - which will cost in roaming whilst abroad. And where there's little signal, the maps take an age to load. Not much use really. Nor do you get any advanced options/junction assistance, lane advice etc. Hence there are many reasons why I would like a dedicated sat nav device :)

And yes I know about the law about using devices with camera detection and all that, plus helmet stickers, spare bulbs etc. etc. etc. (I wrote a whole article about biking through Europe not long ago) :thumb:

I have used my Phone aboard (europe) and I didnt get any roaming charges maybe its the package I have! It also has voice re-routing and found it good enough. As for options like Lane Assistance I dont use as I class that as my job.

I can see why you want a dedicated system the same reason I have purchased them but, its worth considering your mobile as a back up.

On a unit to purchase consider a Garmin as you can get Life Time map updates option.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online