Carb issues SR125

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 4072 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so I've googled and can't find an answer to this one!

I've checked carb settings (1/2 turn out from closed).

Always starts first time, no choke. If engine is hot then she won't start without the choke. I'm also noticing a flat spot in 1st quarter of throttle after I ease off, when I go to accelerate again there is a loss of power until I wind the throttle round to halfway. Any ideas anyone?

Andrew

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes - sorry using iPhone and hadn't scrolled all the way down so hadn't seen the workshop section. I'll repost straight away; please accept my humble apologies.

Cheers Dirty! Think there'll be 2 on there now tho cos I just copy and pasted over!

Other duplicate post hidden now.

Have you had the carb off and cleaned it? Have you started the bike and sprayed some wd40 around the air intake manifold and if so did it make any difference to the revs?

I've not had chance to have the carb off - 2 young children!

I'll try WD tomorrow - should it make a difference? I spray it all down with WD40 each week when I wash it, just never while running.

Just a thought, is there an additive (like Redex) I could use which would clean the carb as I ride or is the only sure way to clean it is by stripping it down? Just me and the kids tomorrow so I'd get away with using the kitchen sink!!

Sounds like pilot jet blocked, if needs choke to start even wen hot, also air screw is 1/2 turn out,you say,, :eusa_think: bit ritch, or pilot jet is too small ,

arent you confusing choke ON with choke OFF ?

what kind of choke operating mechanism is it?

Given my obvious lack of experience I can understand why you'd ask that!

It's a simple pull to open choke, doesn't stay open, have to hold it out out for a few seconds. I saw someone else on here has the same issues and he was told it can be a common thing after letting it sit for a few minutes like after refuelling.

Sounds like pilot jet blocked, if needs choke to start even wen hot, also air screw is 1/2 turn out,you say,, :eusa_think: bit ritch, or pilot jet is too small ,

It doesn't need choke when it's cold though - even when it's zero outside!

I was planning on stripping the carb down today, with the help if an 8 yr old and nearly 3 yr old! I had hoped I wasn't going to need to but after reading a lot of replies to this and others I don't think I've got a lot of choice :(

Given my obvious lack of experience I can understand why you'd ask that!

It's a simple pull to open choke, doesn't stay open, have to hold it out out for a few seconds. I saw someone else on here has the same issues and he was told it can be a common thing after letting it sit for a few minutes like after refuelling.

Ahh yes it's the pull knob type...no mistaking the operation of those is there, sometimes the metal pivoted lever types can be though...i was wondering if it was one of those. Try it with the air filter removed...It should need choke when It's cold without a doubt

Ahh yes it's the pull knob type...no mistaking the operation of those is there, sometimes the metal pivoted lever types can be though...i was wondering if it was one of those. Try it with the air filter removed...It should need choke when It's cold without a doubt

Cheers for that - I'll do that before I take the boys to the park! Can't believe it the best day so far weather wise and I can't even take the bike out!!

Take Airheads advice re the air filter.

The choke is out for choke and in for no choke. They do often not stay out when worn but mist people get used to that. The WD40 when running is to check for any air leaks as it will alter the revs of the engine.

It definitely sounds like a full strip for the carb and a clear out of the jets.

Take Airheads advice re the air filter.

The choke is out for choke and in for no choke. They do often not stay out when worn but mist people get used to that. The WD40 when running is to check for any air leaks as it will alter the revs of the engine.

It definitely sounds like a full strip for the carb and a clear out of the jets.

I removed the air filter and it made no difference, so thought I'd double check the mixture screw. I had it unscrewed about 1 and 3/4! Re adjusted and now runs like a dream! Saved myself a couple of hours stripping it down!!! I even needed the choke this morning! Plus I don't lose power when I go to re apply throttle. Thanks a lot Airhead and Dirty :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online